BOROCHAT

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Press Conference today by Deltic 21Today 13:22Today at 13:22:46view thread

Oldest article: What a result by InvaderOfPitches127/1 17:04Sat Jan 27 17:04:29 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Match Thread by Sev16/3 15:20Sat Mar 16 15:20:50 2024view thread

The Championship

By imjake715/3 08:43Fri Mar 15 08:43:50 2024

Views: 1061

It's so good to think/dream about the Championship instead of EFL survival so out of interest let's continue...

I know that clubs’ income, expenditure and therefore profit aren’t reliant solely on home attendances but looking on footballwebpages.co.uk at the numbers makes interesting reading.

League 1 current average appears to be around 10,000 with Derby and Bolton 20k plus.
We are 21st with about 4,700 so, as we all know, we are clearly punching well above our weight and long may that last.

The Championship average is about 22,500 with Sunderland and Leeds 35k plus.
The lowest attendance (Rotherham) is around 10,500.

PW’s aim has always been the Championship, so how do folks see how we might achieve a reasonably sustained place there in say a 3-5 year term?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: The Championship

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)15/3 12:26Fri Mar 15 12:26:44 2024In response to The Championship Top of thread

Views: 781

Someone should superimpose Bournemouth's ground on our footprint, to show how much room we'd need to go to 12-14k (6,000 of which would be empty most weeks).

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 14:12:32 on 15th March 2024

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)15/3 11:04Fri Mar 15 11:04:41 2024In response to The Championship Top of thread

Views: 787

If we were to gain promotion would it be sensible to start with stadium improvements? We seem to be a bit obsessed with it on here at the moment.

Surely that could leave us at risk of playing lower league football in a bigger, emptier stadium in the near future?

1 person likes this 1 person

By Tucks15/3 12:26Fri Mar 15 12:26:53 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 731

With more fans come more who are obsessed with crowd numbers.

By Owen B15/3 12:20Fri Mar 15 12:20:33 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 688

I didn't mean it in the short term. If we happened to get promoted to the Championship this season, I wouldn't advocate immediately expanding the stadium, as there is no need for it. I was talking about the medium to long term (5-10 years +) as we, hopefully, slowly build the regular fan base to the level where it would be necessary. The figure of 10,000 by the OP was a reference to the smallest club currently in the Championship as a fair comparison.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)15/3 10:13Fri Mar 15 10:13:57 2024In response to The Championship Top of thread

Views: 771

There is zero percent chance of us being a sustainable club in the 2nd tier in our lifetime.

By Freemo15/3 12:02Fri Mar 15 12:02:06 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 677

Inclined to believe this but Wigan had similar attendances 25 years ago. There's no way it happens whilst we're at Broadhall Way and it's not like Wigan are a sustainable Champ club now either.

By Telboy15/3 10:02Fri Mar 15 10:02:08 2024In response to The Championship Top of thread

Views: 774

If PW has had eyes on the Championship since he took the club over and being the astute business man that he is, I would imagine he has a plan. When you consider how close we are to achieving his ambition, he will have all of his ducks in a row. As soon as we are there he will launch all the ground improvements necessary. The Lamex, Broadhall Way and surrounding area will be adapted to cope. I could be wrong but doubt it very much.

By Mutley (Mutley34)15/3 10:45Fri Mar 15 10:45:46 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 721

once all the grants are in place then the improvements may be done, if required

By Owen B15/3 08:47Fri Mar 15 08:47:04 2024In response to The Championship Top of thread

Views: 849

The only way to do it is very slowly. For example, a 10,000 average gate will take many more years to build up, although we've done well to get it up to 5,000-ish, not to mention stadium expansions or moving stadiums.

3 people like this 3 people

By Tucks15/3 10:27Fri Mar 15 10:27:07 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 744

Absolutely. It’s taken over a decade to establish ourselves as a league club and that included an almost immediate flirt with the Championship.

PW will know our limitations and we seem to be good at finding other revenue streams. Arguably I’d say the further up the pyramid you go the less it’s about matchday revenue and more money from other sources.

If we go up the place is likely to be sold out for most home fixtures regardless of results for most of the first season at least. Be that from the excitement of the Championship and that we’ll be a new away day for lots of fans of clubs with big followings.

By imjake715/3 08:57Fri Mar 15 08:57:06 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 812

Yes I take your point.

That presumably includes having the space for the much higher numbers of away fans that Championship status brings - something I think others have commented on before

By Telboy15/3 09:16Fri Mar 15 09:16:17 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 769

In rough numbers, we'll have capacity for 5500 home fans. As per Luton in the Prem, the only guarantee of getting in will be to buy a season ticket. There will be sell outs nearly every home game. For some, the only way of watching us will be away from home.

By RussD8115/3 09:50Fri Mar 15 09:50:08 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 764

Simplest but no means cheapest option in my mind is to fill the 2 corners between the south and the west and the west and the north.

Away fans can then have the whole of the south plus the corner and maybe even part of the west. Ok would push some of the west more towards the north and that corner but will increase the capacity steadily which is what we need.

Infrastructure around the ground mentality needs to change as well, allowing the circus and the fair ground to absorb the car park opposite the ground for a 1 off money spinner in football season is stupid in my mind. The council need to support the club help with what it needs not talking money but infrastructure around the ground. Even if they charged £1 to park on match days and provided traffic control at full time. Simple investment that makes the club/town much better run

By Tucks15/3 10:21Fri Mar 15 10:21:01 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 726

We’re lucky to have free parking in Fairlands Valley really. And it’s nothing to do with the club so we can’t object to the council letting the circus/fair etc. use the land.

I also believe that it’s an old bylaw that fair (and possibly circus) operators have the right to operate on certain sites so long as they turn up once a year and the council can’t stop them unless they find another suitable site.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)15/3 10:43Fri Mar 15 10:43:48 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 709

The bye law tho k only applies to the fair in the old town which is charter fair and has to be on same days every yr or it lapses. Even in COVID they put one stool/tent out ithink to meet ths .Re Fairlands they just hired it out with prob a max number of times a yr eg there are normally only 2 circuses each yr.

By RockyBottom15/3 10:09Fri Mar 15 10:09:21 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 738

You can't do that due to the stupid way we built the south and north stands. If they had access from undernearth you could but the turnstiles/ access points are on the side, which screws everything up. There's a reason clubs build stands in a certain way and we choose to ignore that.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)15/3 11:09Fri Mar 15 11:09:20 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 687

They then perhaps could redevelop EF by adding seated tier and the give away team an allocation of seats in the West ? In fact not sure why we done the latter this season given we rarely full it ourselves.

By Mutley (Mutley34)15/3 13:00Fri Mar 15 13:00:29 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 644

The east terrace is never full either, shall we give the away fans tickets there too and a few in the North Stand whilst the club are trying to get a safety certificate for it

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)15/3 15:17Fri Mar 15 15:17:56 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 591

Stupid comments West Stand was not full last season but we still gave some away teams some of West Stand to maximise income and it obviously wax within safety cert. Plus ironically may reduce number of away fans who might try to get on to EG or North.

By #TeamTaye (Chuds)15/3 13:08Fri Mar 15 13:08:46 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 654

This is a hilarious thread.

We don't even average 5k fans (and never have done in our entire history) and have only ever had six league matches with an attendance higher than 6k!

And this is only the fourth season we have ever spent in League One!

Edited by Chuds at 13:09:17 on 15th March 2024

By Mutley (Mutley34)15/3 14:20Fri Mar 15 14:20:59 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 593

Hilarious, Bewildering, same as some of the comments when we lose a couple of matches!! the comments after the Fleetwood game and how shit it was, some people have such a short memory or haven't been going for that long, i find it staggering i really do

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))15/3 16:19Fri Mar 15 16:19:49 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 587

When we are in the bottom half of League 1 next Autumn we will have sub 3k crowds every week

By #TeamTaye (Chuds)15/3 18:45Fri Mar 15 18:45:43 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 538

Incorrect.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)15/3 18:48Fri Mar 15 18:48:41 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 565

What % of our newer fans do you expect to hang about if we go on a long run of poor form and spend next season struggling in L1.

I dont expect it to happen, but if it does, people who've only recently got on the Boro bus will get off.

By SFA (SFC-Chris)19/3 10:00Tue Mar 19 10:00:50 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 259

Will be interesting to see. Worth noting that our average attendance is more than 1,000 higher than in 2011-12, our closest comparable season in terms of level and results. To me, that suggests the ‘baseline’ level of support has increased now, but to what extent we’ll only find out when we do see a significant drop off in form/level.

By Sev15/3 17:17Fri Mar 15 17:17:51 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 534

Correct.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)15/3 09:54Fri Mar 15 09:54:45 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 749

Re final point but the the mentality of some no footy residents would be the other way round , why allow a match on days when a circus is on etc .
There was also an uproar a few yrs back if I remember when SBC were going to charge to park on match days only

By RussD8115/3 11:53Fri Mar 15 11:53:42 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 649

My argument to that is what brings the bigger revenue stream a championship/league 1 football stream with crowds of upwards of 8/9k every other week or a circus and a fun fair? One/twice a year.

If we are to be taken seriously and not follow the “punching above our weight” tag year in year out the mentality of the town, club and council needs to change.

All of which takes money and time but I guess the main point is where do we see ourselves in 2/3 years time? If we have a true belief that we can make the championship and sustain it we need to change the mindset and a club first mentality but agree that’s a big big task

By Deltic 21 (Spirit of East Coast Boro)16/3 09:08Sat Mar 16 09:08:10 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 439

I’d hope the council would be amenable to opening Fairlands field to parking as they currently do now on occasion, should the circus be in town etc and space were needed.

And my yardstick for whether we’d ‘sustain’ in the Championship is Wycombe. They couldn’t do it so I really don’t see much how we could. Two seasons maybe, 3 or up would be fantasy.

By Sev16/3 12:28Sat Mar 16 12:28:48 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 403

Yeah couldn't see us sustaining it at all. The dream is to get there for a season, then I'd assume we would get relegated straight away, or if we have momentum, perhaps stay up and do one more season.

The worry in that scenario is after going back down to League One would we keep falling!

By RockyBottom16/3 14:39Sat Mar 16 14:39:55 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 409

I'd love to go up for one season, just to do all the new grounds.

Agree though a freefall like Yeovil's would be a concern.

By RussD8116/3 14:30Sat Mar 16 14:30:07 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 400

It’s the run before you can walk scenario. I’ll get shot down in flames for saying promotion no matter how great long term might not be the best for the club now. It’s a tough one to be honest.

You see so many clubs hit the Championship then spiral due to wages loosing players once they get relegated they struggle to come back.

It’s tough enough to be a top end League 1 side consistently and maybe that is the next step, know one knows what the future holds but enjoy it while we can as 2 years ago we certainly where not

By Sev16/3 15:17Sat Mar 16 15:17:23 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 387

Absolutely, Championship would be amazing even if it's at a cost. YOLO!

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)16/3 12:44Sat Mar 16 12:44:46 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 408

Wr$xham could do it.

By Sludgy6518/3 13:52Mon Mar 18 13:52:01 2024In response to Re: The Championship Top of thread

Views: 286

No point expanding if we arent going to fill the seats. The money would be better spent on players than can compete at a higher level. Then, if we survive in the Championship for a few years you can look at expanding. Only problem is paying the wage bill? Imagine we would have to rely a lot on loans?

Previous thread: HSC QF - St Albans (a) by #TeamTaye19/3 09:18Tue Mar 19 09:18:09 2024view thread