BOROCHAT

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Press Conference today by TelboyYesterday 17:42Yesterday at 17:42:53view thread

Oldest article: What a result by InvaderOfPitches127/1 17:04Sat Jan 27 17:04:29 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: New Teams and Playoffs by StirlingBoro915/5 10:14Sun May 5 10:14:37 2024view thread

Alex Revell - convince me...

By Owen B28/4 09:57Sun Apr 28 09:57:32 2024

Views: 2540

Now that Alex Revell is the frontrunner for the job and I've noticed some supporters of his online (here and Twitter), could someone please explain why they believe he would be a good appointment? He seemed out of his depth during his previous tenure a few years ago, so I fail to see the appeal of rehiring him. While he may be a great guy, and I genuinely wish him success in his coaching career, I don't quite envision him as a suitable number one. His appointment wouldn't exactly signal a strong ambition to propel us to the Championship.

reply to this article | return to the front page

7 people like this 7 people

Gary Freeman

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)6/5 17:54Mon May 6 17:54:37 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 614

Strong chattering on social media that Gary Freeman has left Jersey Bulls to manage Stevenage.

Re: Gary Freeman

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)6/5 18:00Mon May 6 18:00:30 2024In response to Gary FreemanTop of thread

Views: 535

Is it April 1st.

Re: Alex Revell - convince me...

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)3/5 14:59Fri May 3 14:59:50 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 896

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united-manager-steve-evans-provides-alex-revell-update-4614987

By Woolly Hat3/5 14:16Fri May 3 14:16:56 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 848

Do not fear everybody (Farley and Central are winding you all up) he is not going to be our new manager. He is going to be unveiled to his adoring fans at Rotherham tomorrow.

Phil is waiting for the Crawley/MK Dons playoff tie to be decided before he makes the losing manager our next manager.

By Tucks3/5 14:33Fri May 3 14:33:49 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 824

Gareth Ainsworth isn’t manager of Crawley or MK Dons.

By Woolly Hat3/5 14:40Fri May 3 14:40:39 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 810

Ainsworth is off to Gillingham, money is better and the views from the medway beat Great Ashby.

By jayess3/5 15:53Fri May 3 15:53:50 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 755

Wrong on three counts I reckon. Have you ever been to Gillingham?

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)3/5 15:59Fri May 3 15:59:40 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 752

Have two Gills ST holder mates.They want Maher , but probably too much compo to pay but if not Woodman or Daryll Clarke

By Tucks3/5 17:03Fri May 3 17:03:19 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 777

Sorry state of affairs if a manager is picking mid-table League Two Gillingham over us right now.

By Telboy3/5 17:40Fri May 3 17:40:36 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 740

Maybe he's chasing ££££'s or maybe we've turned him away for GW haha ??

By Owen B3/5 17:42Fri May 3 17:42:12 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 740

I imagine this place and Twitter would explode if GW was reappointed again 🤣🤣🤣

By Paulio3/5 18:34Fri May 3 18:34:44 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 710

I for one welcome back our treasured overlord.

By RockyBottom3/5 19:35Fri May 3 19:35:38 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 720

Between Westley and Revell I'd be forced to pick the chipmunk.

By Telboy2/5 11:06Thu May 2 11:06:23 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1316

I'm coming to terms with Revs being our next full time manager if indeed thats what happens.
It might not be quite the risk we all might think.
1, He will have learnt a hell of a lot from his first term. Like businessmen, they come back a lot stronger after little or no success.
2, Gained a lot of respect from within the club...he's still with us that says something. PW must respect him othetwise he would be out.
3, SE obviously rates him highly in his coaching role at least.
4, His 2 years alongside SE and PR would have been invaluable for his man management and tactical skills.

Maybe, better the devil we know than the one we don't.

By AgentEves5/5 03:59Sun May 5 03:59:46 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 497

His first spell proved he hasn't got a Scooby about the tactical side of the game. He might be a good coach, especially if he has a focus on the physical aspects of training, but you cant be a manager without being tactically astute.

I just think you're either someone who's tactically minded, or you're not. I'm sure he has learned a lot since he managed us last, but if you're not the analytical type, then I just dont think you're ever going to be a good tactician. His post match interviews were just "we're gonna try real hard" over and over.

By Telboy5/5 08:01Sun May 5 08:01:52 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 460

It is difficult to disagree with your view on Revs. Can I just say that I'm trying to keep an open mind on Revs, the front runner.
I sometimes reflect on my sales career and to be quite frank, I was hopeless to begin with and didn't have a clue. Infact, I was a failure! I spent 6 months on a commision only direct selling role with little or no success. I didn't get a penny if I didn't sell. In the end I changed jobs but stayed in sales as I couldn't carry on without any money...had two children and had to run my car without any money.
That experience set me up for life, it was such a difficult time that anything that was thrown at me thereafter I found easy in comparrison. In every sales team thereafter I was always the sales guy that did the hunting for brand new customers whilst the others would be the harvesters.
My point is (after babbling on) that Revs experience being thrown in the deep end first time out could be the making of him.

Edited by Telboy at 08:02:59 on 5th May 2024

By Chuds5/5 08:34Sun May 5 08:34:25 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 452

Being front-runner with the bookies doesn't mean anything. It is not like a next manager market in the PL where there are loads of agents and people in the know leaking stuff. They don't have a clue who is on our shortlist or who is being interviewed. He is favourite purely because he is already in position so it is easy.

I may be wrong and it ends up being him, but I am pretty confident that if it was to be him it would have already been announced as what reason is there to delay? The club, the fans, and he himself would want it tied up early so they and the players can go away on their holidays knowing the situation, and so those players being released know and can search for new clubs.

Edit: Unless he is in our list, but not top choice, so we are delaying in the hope of getting somebody else, but willing to go with him if that fails. But again I would have expected it to be sewn up by now if an out of work manager, for the reasons given above. It could easily have been sorted by now. So it does make me wonder if we are targeting Lindsey/McCann or somebody.

Edited by Chuds at 08:37:07 on 5th May 2024

1 person likes this 1 person

By Deltic 21 (Spirit of East Coast Boro)6/5 22:22Mon May 6 22:22:53 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 184

Genuine question - who would you want? From the current crop of suggestions I’m struggling to get excited about any of them.

By Chuds6/5 22:28Mon May 6 22:28:42 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 189

If those not in a job - Michael Duff.

Of those in a job - Scott Lindsey or McCann. Or Darrell Clarke.

By Deltic 21 (Spirit of East Coast Boro)6/5 22:34Mon May 6 22:34:06 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 197

Ta. I genuinely don’t have enough knowledge of them to comment, but I’m sceptical of just about everyone who might not understand our ‘way’.

By jayess6/5 22:54Mon May 6 22:54:54 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 167

Ainsworth for me. Doubt McCann would leave Doncaster for The Lamex.

By Chuds6/5 23:06Mon May 6 23:06:55 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 188

Aye, agree on that.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)5/5 08:43Sun May 5 08:43:35 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 428

Agree that's my thinking now re McCann etc and even perhaps Woodman .Again if it was going to be Ainsworth or Duff surely would have been announced already .But what do I know

By Boing Boing Boro Boro3/5 01:23Fri May 3 01:23:45 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1045

There's a lot to like about Revell but I'm not sure he would be the correct appointment for us at this time. I'm sure he'll have learnt from his previous stint in charge and working with Steve Evans will have helped further his development but there's absolutely no evidence to suggest he's ready to manage us again let alone at a higher level than one he previously failed at.

As much as I like Alex Revell the player and the person, when he was managing us on his own at the very start it was pretty much a disaster. Something like 2 wins in 18 before Dean Wilkins came in and then things started to improve. To their credit, things did improve, and we stayed up comfortably that year, instead of it being a platform to build from we ended up starting the following season with just 3 wins in 16 which resulted in their departure.

Outside of him being a likeable character I just don't get the logic behind wanting him back as manager.

In addition to the above, I feel we need someone who has experience of this level or at the very least is capable of identifying exactly what is needed to succeed at this level. Outside of Steve Evans time as manager our recruitment has been dreadful on the whole.

If we decide to move forward with an out of their depth manager and likely below average recruitment then we may as well prepare for life back in League 2 for 2025 because that's where we'll be heading.

6 people like this 6 people

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))3/5 09:48Fri May 3 09:48:27 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 921

“Outside of him being a likeable character I just don't get the logic behind wanting him back as manager.“

The message would be - he’s cheap. The splurge was last season, it didn’t quite make it, and now we have to cut back. I’d actually understand it from that point of view.

By Boing Boing Boro Boro3/5 13:47Fri May 3 13:47:10 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 804

If that's accurate and we are now going to cut our budget down to a more sustainable level then I have no issue with that. I still don't think Revell would be the right manager in that circumstance.

We've already seen Revell managing on a limited budget in League 2 and unfortunately it didn't end well.

If he's appointed I'd be disappointed but he'll have my full support, hopefully he'll prove me wrong and end up being a great success. That'd be some humble pie I wouldn't mind eating.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))3/5 14:23Fri May 3 14:23:00 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 766

Agree

By RussD813/5 11:27Fri May 3 11:27:56 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 816

Think I have missed something here.?

Seems a lot talk that Revs has been appointed, has this come from some actual intelligence or is it just the Twittersphere running its mouth again?

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))4/5 08:15Sat May 4 08:15:53 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 545

No idea, just running my own thoughts. Re the social media, was just thinking how I won’t miss Evans’ constant slagging of referees. And that ‘we know what’s going on’ thing - naturally social media is full of twats, but that shit was being spread by people pretty close to the club who should know better.

3 people like this 3 people

By BedsBoro (peanut)3/5 09:59Fri May 3 09:59:12 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 886

While I don't disagree about Revell, our finances - and PW's recent investment - suggest we don't have to cut back...

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))3/5 11:03Fri May 3 11:03:13 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 817

Is there more money to come?

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)3/5 11:39Fri May 3 11:39:33 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 794

At beginning of season PW was openly trying to get a new investor on board so you never know Given our decent season we maybe more attractive now but obviously we don't want any Hollywood FC pantomime thing

Edited by HitchinBoro exCalling at 11:39:49 on 3rd May 2024

By Jas793/5 10:57Fri May 3 10:57:18 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 811

It sounds more like a logical continuation if we can keep the core of team together and it sounds like we can. Revs problem will come when he has to put his own team together, that's when you need someone who just knows a player is the right fit and can get it right most of the time.

By Tucks2/5 17:13Thu May 2 17:13:46 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1011

It’s going to be Ainsworth.

By Paulio2/5 17:15Thu May 2 17:15:21 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1006

Dicky Hill MKII SZN

By Paulio2/5 13:50Thu May 2 13:50:27 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1124

Or Evans knows he’s shit, is trying to call our bluff and make one less relegation spot to fill next season 👀

By Sev2/5 13:14Thu May 2 13:14:27 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1167

I feel like if it was going to be him then they would already have announced it.

Feels a bit like they're saying if we can't find anyone better you'll have to do, which wouldn't make me feel great if I'm Revs. Maybe they've said he is one of the candidates they are considering which is fair enough.

Equally they know he is wanted but Rotherham now so if he isn't in contention then surely we should let him know and he can go if he wants to (with compensation if under contract) unless we are thinking he will be coach under a new manager.

By jayess2/5 17:02Thu May 2 17:02:46 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1002

Agree with your first point. Every day that goes by without Rev being announced makes me think that, thankfully, it is less likely.

2 people like this 2 people

By Telboy2/5 14:02Thu May 2 14:02:06 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1138

Your second point could be very close to the mark.
As in the workplace, anybody that applies for a position, who looks promising, will need to go through an interview process. Perhaps its no different at our club.
It makes perfect sense to consider all applicants, they will have been told the process.
Its in PW's hands to consider the pros and cons of his short list before he makes such an important decision for his/our club.
My guess is that we are only days away from knowing who PW chooses.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)2/5 16:02Thu May 2 16:02:55 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 993

Could coincide with we the playoffs if we are looking at Woodman, McCann or Lindsay and seeing if their teams get promoted or through ?

Ainsworth

By Tucks29/4 18:48Mon Apr 29 18:48:50 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1749

Odds are coming in quickly. No smoke without fire…

Re: Ainsworth

By Paulio29/4 20:00Mon Apr 29 20:00:55 2024In response to AinsworthTop of thread

Views: 1635

Nice guy. Had a chat with him at Wickes when he was shopping for paint for his new house in great Ashby.

Re: Ainsworth

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)29/4 18:50Mon Apr 29 18:50:34 2024In response to AinsworthTop of thread

Views: 1670

🤢 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮😭😢😭

By Rotterdamboro29/4 11:14Mon Apr 29 11:14:45 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1838

I really hope Wallace doesn’t make a huge mistake and reappoint him. Would be a totally backward step - like reappointing Maamria or Sarll. He’s a likeable wingman but that’s it. Let him join Evans at Rotherham.

7 people like this 7 people

By Old_man29/4 08:47Mon Apr 29 08:47:35 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1935

Now odds on 1/2

Don’t waste your money

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)29/4 10:15Mon Apr 29 10:15:10 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2099

https://x.com/waspboro1/status/1784609145229836587?s=46&t=itnbzD-LxVE80w6W3cBDgg

Re: Don’t waste your money

By MerseyBoro (BrummieBoro)29/4 11:24Mon Apr 29 11:24:17 2024In response to Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 1800

Being wined and dined at Stevenage leisure park, what more could a prospective new manager ask for?

By ForestBoro3529/4 11:17Mon Apr 29 11:17:28 2024In response to Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 1820

What a coincidence that this is the same picture from the time when person 2 was Graham Westely, and the same exact cars from that picture, are in this picture and parked in the same exact place too. Oh yeah and PW is wearing the same clothes.

By Dave (daveadkins)30/4 18:21Tue Apr 30 18:21:17 2024In response to Re: Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 1352

I bet you're fun at parties

By ForestBoro353/5 11:24Fri May 3 11:24:40 2024In response to Re: Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 772

My days of partying are long over, I'm 35 years old not 16.

By Owen B29/4 12:05Mon Apr 29 12:05:44 2024In response to Re: Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 1713

They are his manager hiring clothes. Special pants and socks too.

By Tucks29/4 11:40Mon Apr 29 11:40:58 2024In response to Re: Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 1706

PW’s deal closing garms.

By InvaderOfPitches129/4 10:20Mon Apr 29 10:20:41 2024In response to Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 1783

Looks like wellens to me

By Roulette Len (Roulette Len)29/4 10:17Mon Apr 29 10:17:26 2024In response to Don’t waste your money Top of thread

Views: 1784

👏 👏 👏

By Tedster29/4 09:44Mon Apr 29 09:44:26 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1796

That’ll be our relegation odds in August as well if he or Luke Garrard gets the job..

By Chuds29/4 10:11Mon Apr 29 10:11:24 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1776

MEOW.

Re: Realistic targets next season

By StirlingBoro9128/4 20:25Sun Apr 28 20:25:24 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2178

I don't think we should be viewing Revell as the manager to take us to the Championship. When was the last time we had consecutive successful managers?

What we should be asking is if he can consolidate and keep us up next season.

It sounds negative but the aim should be mid-table. Anything better than that would be wonderful but realistically we have to be careful of the second season syndrome.

I can't be sure yet if Revell is ready for this, especially with his first stint, but is he even staying?

Thought he was heading to Rotherham.

By Borobear356/5 17:51Mon May 6 17:51:40 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 381

Current #StockportCounty captain and club legend Paddy Madden will leave Edgeley Park this summer, with the two parties unable to agree on a new deal.

YES PLEASE BORO!!! PROVEN GOALSCORER !!!

By Tucks6/5 19:16Mon May 6 19:16:33 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 299

34 and has been playing National League/League Two for the last four seasons.

By SFA (SFC-Chris)28/4 21:35Sun Apr 28 21:35:52 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1993

For the last two consecutive successful managers, perhaps Westley Mk I followed by Stimmo?

Helped us avoid relegation and got to the play-off final a couple of years later. Then an FA Trophy win and great league form until Taylor mucked it all up.

Edited by SFC-Chris at 21:36:01 on 28th April 2024

By Freemo28/4 21:39Sun Apr 28 21:39:48 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1987

BHW was such a fun place to be under Stimmo. The stakes are too high for that these days.

5 people like this 5 people

By Paulio29/4 11:17Mon Apr 29 11:17:22 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1710

Best time as a fan.

By Sev29/4 13:37Mon Apr 29 13:37:09 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1610

It was so much fun. The football was open, fluent and attack focussed.

The trophy run was great. Really was a great time to be a fan.

A different kind of joy to the winning machine we became under Westley, which was also a great time to be a fan.

The last couple of years for different reasons again have also been good, having appreciated our place and success in the EFL after coming so close to dropping out of it.

By StirlingBoro9128/4 21:39Sun Apr 28 21:39:14 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1949

Don't want to panic anyone but Stimmo joined us almost 18 years ago.

Feels like yesterday and now I'm feeling bloody old.

Edited by StirlingBoro91 at 21:39:24 on 28th April 2024

By Deano (deanos13)29/4 11:08Mon Apr 29 11:08:38 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1698

And he's just been sacked by Margate .......

By Pete (PeteH)28/4 21:33Sun Apr 28 21:33:40 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1957

When was the last time we had consecutive successful managers?

GW got us into League Two, GS got us into the League One playoffs.

Dispute it all you want, that's a fact. Because science into doubt doesn't go.

By StirlingBoro9128/4 21:40Sun Apr 28 21:40:33 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1932

GS had a win percentage of less than 33% and inherited GW's team mid-season after he sodded off to Preston.

By Pete (PeteH)28/4 21:54Sun Apr 28 21:54:00 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1909

Only manager to get us in the League One playoffs.

And the only manager to get us top of League One? For 15 mins.

He may have not been right, but he got us closer to Champo football than any other so far.

By StirlingBoro9128/4 21:57Sun Apr 28 21:57:49 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1905

Right but he didn't build that team.

He had some decent moments but he wasn't exactly one of our greatest managers. How many of his wins with us came with that GW team (so before the summer)? I genuinely don't know but I'm sure someone can break it down.

Certainly not up there in the same breath as Fairclough, GW, Stimmo, or Evans.

For a club as young as ours 12 years ago (when Smith took over) is 25% of our history ago. So it's fair to compare him to those 4.

By SFCfox28/4 21:55Sun Apr 28 21:55:25 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1934

We was top for a few days earlier this season.

5 people like this 5 people

By AndyC29/4 08:35Mon Apr 29 08:35:31 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1808

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66692814

Good times

By StirlingBoro9128/4 22:02Sun Apr 28 22:02:16 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1894

Yep and that first half of the season has to be up there as among with best 4-5 months in our history.

The second half of the season was polar opposite at times.

Do I think we were as bad as we finished? God no.

Do I think we were exceeding expectations significantly in the first half? I'd defy anyone to say otherwise.

The truth is somewhere in between.

I thought we'd be a mid-table team this season and we've finished a bit above that.

I think if we consolidate next season we can then build towards back-to-back seasons of playoff pushes.

The most important thing is not to be a yo-yo team.

Edited by StirlingBoro91 at 22:10:58 on 28th April 2024

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)28/4 22:33Sun Apr 28 22:33:06 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1876

Without a new benefactor I think we are likely to be a yo-yo team between L2 and L1.

Thats not to say that we won't flirt with the L2 relegation, and the L1 promotion, spots.

But I can live with that over the next 5-6 seasons.

Fighting to stay up, or fighting to go up, winning a promotion again back to L1, has gotta be better than the season effectively ending in March because we're 14th and plodding along at 1.2 PPG.

By jayess28/4 20:59Sun Apr 28 20:59:59 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1997

100 per cent correct. It sounds negative.

By Owen B28/4 20:30Sun Apr 28 20:30:36 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 2023

The Championship wasn't my aim or expectation. It was what Wallace said a couple of weeks ago.

By Sev28/4 21:17Sun Apr 28 21:17:46 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 1957

He said competing for the playoffs again in his programme notes I think.

By StirlingBoro9128/4 20:32Sun Apr 28 20:32:09 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 2001

Yeah I'm not sure how seriously he meant that. I mean it's what he's probably expected to say but I've seen comments in recent weeks on here from people, including myself, talking about pushing for the playoffs and better next season.

The last 14 games and losing Evans have sobered that reality.

I'll be happy if we stay up.

By Owen B28/4 20:33Sun Apr 28 20:33:29 2024In response to Re: Realistic targets next seasonTop of thread

Views: 2007

My point being that if you state that the Championship is your aim, I don't see how appointing Revell would square with that statement.

4 people like this 4 people

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)28/4 20:23Sun Apr 28 20:23:20 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1998

When it comes to football managers I always have this thought I made up.
You have so many relationships in this life, only one or two will last. You go through all the pain and strife, then you turn your back and they're gone so fast

By Chuds28/4 10:03Sun Apr 28 10:03:17 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2192

Firstly I think it is quite unfair to label him on his previous spell. The club was in a bad place then and he had never managed before and was very much thrown in the deep end.

We are far better placed now and he will have learnt an awful lot since then.

However, I don't want him as manager again, yet. Not now. I think he would be the wrong appointment at this moment in time. But, as I have said on socials, I would be gutted if he leaves the club. His commitment to us since first coming in as a player, and his genuine affection towards the club, should not be taken for granted. And the players by all accounts love him too. I would love him to be assistant, or at least on the coaching team, under the new manager.

By RockyBottom28/4 19:45Sun Apr 28 19:45:57 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2038

There's probably some advantage for a new manager to have some continuity amongst the coaching staff. I wouldn't be against that.

By jayess28/4 10:47Sun Apr 28 10:47:27 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2077

On your first point, yes and no. We got within shouting distance of the play-offs towards the end of his first full season, but the following one was awful.

By Tucks28/4 12:19Sun Apr 28 12:19:53 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2010

Agreed. I really hope he stays at the club in some capacity. But if it’s a choice of him staying as manager or moving on then I’ll wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

By Cruffers28/4 10:07Sun Apr 28 10:07:13 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2142

My exact thoughts, Chuds. He’s a genuinely lovely guy who is a massive part of our club, but I want him to go elsewhere (L2 or Conf level) to become a manager in his own right, but certainly return to the club at some point down the line.

By Owen B28/4 10:06Sun Apr 28 10:06:32 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2135

Fair point re: the club being in a bad position when he was in charge. I guess it's the best yardstick we have to assess his potential though.

By Chuds28/4 10:16Sun Apr 28 10:16:03 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2135

I will also add that I wouldn't take any odds on him being manager as being an accurate gauge of the likelihood.

It is easy to have him as favourite as he is already in charge and has done so before, but I don't anticipate it being him by any means, and believe if it was to be then it would already have been announced by now.

I am expecting a new manager to be announced over the next week.

By Owen B28/4 10:16Sun Apr 28 10:16:51 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2113

Will he have tight trousers and 80s rocker's hair?

By jayess28/4 10:00Sun Apr 28 10:00:32 2024In response to Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2180

Sensibly, why would you do the same thing and expect a different result?

By Pete (PeteH)28/4 13:02Sun Apr 28 13:02:22 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2044

Graham Westley Mk II has kinda ruined that argument.

By jayess28/4 20:00Sun Apr 28 20:00:57 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2017

Westley Mark I wasn't the same kind of train crash

By Chuds28/4 10:10Sun Apr 28 10:10:08 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2140

Because people can develop?

It is not like he was an experienced old head when first in charge, it was his first ever time in management. I am certain he would do an awful lot differently nowadays.

By jayess28/4 10:53Sun Apr 28 10:53:24 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2068

Yes, of course they can. He's bright enough, and I'm sure he's learned a lot from SE. But football management is an incredibly complex business that requires a multitude of attributes, among which ruthlessness is, sadly, an essential. I suspect he doesn't have it.

By Adas28/4 12:06Sun Apr 28 12:06:36 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 2059

This is my feeling as well. Sometimes being a great bloke and everyone's friend can be a double edged sword. Being dedicated and motivated and making personal sacrifices for the club can certainly take you some distance, but having the stomach to make decisions about others who may be just as dedicated is another thing.

Can you imagine him having the killer instinct to make some of the decisions needed in the medium term? Or would be respect the dedication and effort other players and staff have put in too much to make changes he knows are needed? For example, would he have sat down with Hannam mid-season, looked him in the eye and told him 'you're not good enough to be part of the squad, you won't be playing and we've covered your position with a loanee so we don't need you. We're going to have to terminate your contract to free up some money'? (that might not have been exactly how it went, but you get what I mean).

Evans has that kind of heartless, self-serving streak (he left us without looking back), and I think that's part of how he succeeds at this level with nobody else to do your dirty work for you.

By Freemo29/4 09:24Mon Apr 29 09:24:19 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1773

The other thing is that Evans was able to get us the best players for our budget because he lives and breathes the level and has contacts at several clubs. Revs doesn't have that.

By Bankerbob29/4 10:38Mon Apr 29 10:38:07 2024In response to Re: Alex Revell - convince me...Top of thread

Views: 1725

However, I'd question that ability in the last January window.

Previous thread: Don’t forget it’s a 12:30 kick off today by WASP27/4 09:24Sat Apr 27 09:24:40 2024view thread