BOROCHAT

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Our Crowds by Ivan InklingToday 21:15Today at 21:15:04view thread

Oldest article: FA cup draw tonight by WASP8/1 17:50Mon Jan 8 17:50:16 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Ifollow by RockyBottom12/3 23:57Tue Mar 12 23:57:59 2024view thread

Glass half empty?

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/3 17:37Sat Mar 9 17:37:40 2024

Views: 1435

Or half full?

For me, the performances recently have shown that we don't deserve much this season, I think we will probably fall just short of the playoffs.

That doesn't mean its been a bad season, it will have exceeded most people's, but it it has been a disappointing second half so far considering we were competing for the automatics at one point.

Soooo frustrating... We will never have a better opportunity.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people

Re: Glass half empty?

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)12/3 10:07Tue Mar 12 10:07:44 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 429

Half full, what a great first season back in L1 it's been, regardless of it we finish 6th, 7th or 8th.

Most expected us to go down and we're punching well about our weight. We're averaging 4k crowds and we're mixing it with teams averaging over 20k

1 person likes this 1 person

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)12/3 14:42Tue Mar 12 14:42:55 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 323

Agree but remember what happened in season 2 last time .Different era of course so hope I am not tempting fate

By Tucks12/3 17:18Tue Mar 12 17:18:07 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 319

The boat was well and truly rocked in season one when Westley left. The squad drove us to the play-offs before most of them went on to new challenges.

Once bitten, twice shy and all that. Players are starting to be tied to contracts beyond the end of the season and Evans has been too. I?d say we?re much better prepared for all eventualities come the end of the season.

By Freemo12/3 17:33Tue Mar 12 17:33:30 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 308

This squad hasn't had the opportunity to gel like that one had, but has more talent on an individual basis. I think both sides benefited from a League One which was having an off year.

By #TeamTaye (Chuds)12/3 14:36Tue Mar 12 14:36:59 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 343

I took the opening post to be half full or half empty regarding us making the playoffs.

Even if we finish 7th, it has undeniably been an outstanding season.

By 6029/3 22:00Sat Mar 9 22:00:32 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 990

Empty

That game was awful. Sad times when we only look like scoring when pidge is in the box and hes a centre back. Rest of the time play it to the wing and do nothing. If we have another game like that we have no hope of making it

By Tucks9/3 20:50Sat Mar 9 20:50:36 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1035

It?s the performances across the whole season that count. Not a small sample period.

If we get into the play offs we?ve earned it and therefore it?s deserved.

I think it?s mad that people are actually annoyed that we?re not pissing the league. We?re massively overachieving. I dread the melt down if we don?t get promoted and then have the temerity to finish mid-table or worse next season.

5 people like this 5 people

By Handyandy111/3 16:03Mon Mar 11 16:03:23 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 499

Got to agree with you there Tucks. This is a tough league and defensively we're pretty much watertight. Crying out for a bit more firepower though. But I find it hard to moan.

By RockyBottom11/3 17:44Mon Mar 11 17:44:03 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 502

Only thing I would say in counter to that, is that creativity starts at the back. Our defenders are defenders first and foremost. While I'm not saying they are like Barcalona, the other bigger clubs in the league have defenders that can perhaps play a bit more, creating more chances for the midfield and frontline. I think that's where we find ourselves now.

By Mutley (Mutley34)12/3 13:19Tue Mar 12 13:19:26 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 338

Just like the Arsenal invincibles team, lots of creativity in the back four, don't remember to many of Fegies defences at United be that creative ether,

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)12/3 14:24Tue Mar 12 14:24:46 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 331

Ferdinand could pick a pass.

Bruce and Pallister not so much.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/3 07:45Wed Mar 13 07:45:32 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 285

Sweeney can pick a pass too, Pidge on occasions, TVC capable too, does the mean we are creative form the back

By #TeamTaye (Chuds)11/3 17:18Mon Mar 11 17:18:38 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 470

Level with Pompey for most clean sheets, and only Pompey, Derby and Lincoln have conceded fewer goals.

By SFA (SFC-Chris)9/3 21:17Sat Mar 9 21:17:47 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 999

I don?t think people are annoyed that we?re not pissing the league, I think they?re annoyed that this squad is talented enough to be higher than the position we?re in. Though I do agree that reactions to poor results have been OTT!

By Tucks10/3 07:53Sun Mar 10 07:53:39 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 836

Definite hint of hyperbole on my part.

I do think the last season and a half will have ramped expectations up though, certainly with newer fans who have only seen us win. We?re better placed to become a sustainable League One club now. If we make it to the Championship then amazing. But if we don?t I do worry anything other than challenging at the top end of the table next season will be seen as failure in some quarters.

By Sev9/3 22:48Sat Mar 9 22:48:31 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 950

I don't think it's talented enough to be higher than 6th. 6th is an incredible achievement for this squad. Blackpool have Jordan Rhodes and we currently above them. The teams above us have better squads and bigger budgets.

It was talented enough to win today so that is annoying but results don't always go to plan.

By jayess11/3 11:20Mon Mar 11 11:20:17 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 530

That just about sums it up. We have largely come up short (just) when playing other teams in the top seven.
Derby W L
Portsmouth D L
Barnsley L
Bolton L
Oxford L
Peterborough D

In the four games we have still to play against teams in the that group we arguably need to win a couple, or lose none.

By RockyBottom10/3 20:27Sun Mar 10 20:27:52 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 647

Totally agree Sev.

By SFA (SFC-Chris)10/3 09:12Sun Mar 10 09:12:35 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 805

Not sure I agree. We?ve got plenty of players in the squad who are experienced at the top end of League One. We?ve dropped a huge number of points from winning positions. Poor refereeing decisions have caused us to drop a few points too. All signs that we could be higher in the league than we are if just a few key moments had gone differently.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)10/3 13:05Sun Mar 10 13:05:27 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 720

Teams and fans will always wonder "what if the ref had been better".

They'll still be shit next season.

And the one after that.

By SFA (SFC-Chris)11/3 07:48Mon Mar 11 07:48:37 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 569

Sure. But usually it feels like they even out over the course of the season in a way that they haven?t this time.

By Sev11/3 07:56Mon Mar 11 07:56:46 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 599

As Evans said in the Fleetwood pre match interview, a person from the EFL said we were top of the league for incorrect decisions against us this season. Apparently.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)11/3 11:50Mon Mar 11 11:50:10 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 531

Yep. Heard that.

Don't believe it.

I doubt the EFL keep a spreadsheet of apologies.

I strongly doubt they'd share it with Steve.

If they shared it, and it made us look the victim, it would have been leaked.

In any event I assume they will only send apology emails if a manager complains in the first place, and many simply won't bother both because it's wasted energy or because they won so the mistake doesn't matter.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)11/3 15:17Mon Mar 11 15:17:21 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 474

Thinks it's true , if a manager make a complaint to Ref i assume they put it in their report, club then get a formal response from PGMOL.Whether there is any formal table published by them don't know ,but bet our club have the emails to back up Evan's claims

By SFCfox11/3 12:47Mon Mar 11 12:47:58 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 509

I take all of Evans interviews with a pinch of salt.

They're always extremely entertaining though!

By Sev11/3 13:44Mon Mar 11 13:44:09 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 495

You can also imagine when he's cornered an EFL official they'll say all sorts just to keep him happy.

By AndyC10/3 23:19Sun Mar 10 23:19:12 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 610

And they always forget all the decisions that go our way

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/3 22:50Sat Mar 9 22:50:35 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 901

Not for the next game or two they don't.

Red card today.

By Sev9/3 22:51Sat Mar 9 22:51:45 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 861

Yeah saw that, hopefully that hurts them in terms of results.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/3 22:58Sat Mar 9 22:58:11 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 879

Orient had someone sent off too.

By Sev9/3 19:34Sat Mar 9 19:34:22 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1035

In life people tend to focus on what they haven't got and what they could have had, rather than celebrate what they have got.

We are 6th by 1 point, with a game in hand and slightly better goal difference (that might change on Wednesday lolol).

Today was a disappointing result but I'm happy with where we are. There are going to be disappointing games, it doesn't have to define the rest of the games.

4 people like this 4 people

Peterborough next week

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/3 20:26Sat Mar 9 20:26:13 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1127

They?re going to destroy us if we play like we did today.

Re: Peterborough next week

By SFCfox10/3 06:50Sun Mar 10 06:50:07 2024In response to Peterborough next weekTop of thread

Views: 920

Our defending isn't an issue and our away form is very good.

Re: Peterborough next week

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))10/3 00:25Sun Mar 10 00:25:42 2024In response to Peterborough next weekTop of thread

Views: 920

Stop being silly

By Freemo9/3 19:27Sat Mar 9 19:27:20 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1048

Due to circumstances I've had to book a holiday for the first two weeks in May, so we need to go all the way or not at all.

A club of our means would have to get incredibly lucky to stay in the position we were in earlier on in the season, we're talking Reid hitting 30 league goals. The playing style that got us here is designed to eliminate risk from games which leaves very fine margins that we were getting on the right side of, now we're on the wrong side.

Edited by Freemo at 19:29:40 on 9th March 2024
Edited by Freemo at 19:29:57 on 9th March 2024

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/3 19:35Sat Mar 9 19:35:06 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1026

I booked to travel back from France for the last game of the season because I thought that might seal our survival or be rhe last chance for me to see us in L1 for a while.

Then I changed my mind and thought it'd be the game that saw us clinch an automatic spot.

Now I'm simply hoping it sees us clinch a playoff spot, even though I won't be in the UK to see us at Wembley.

2 people like this 2 people

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))10/3 00:28Sun Mar 10 00:28:57 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 808

I?m sorted for that game cos friends? kids are shadowing the players out. Haven?t the heart to tell them that the kids are never seen again

By #TeamTaye (Chuds)9/3 18:34Sat Mar 9 18:34:00 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1111

Empty.

Two goals scored in five games. Didn't look like scoring all game against an awful side, playing 25 mins against ten men. Scored a good 15-20 less than those we are competing with.

We are entorely reliant on Reid to score our goals and he looks awful at the minute, with no confidence and he cannot control a ball let alone score (fuck knows why he stayed on all 90 minutes today, would rather he went off than Hemmings).

I just don't see where the goals are going to come from to get us over the line.

4 people like this 4 people

By Tucks10/3 07:48Sun Mar 10 07:48:04 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 768

My current concern with Reid is that in order to get himself firing again he?s maybe being more selfish to the detriment of the team.

The onus is on everyone to put the ball in the net. The goals will come for Reid again, especially if the weight of expectation is taken off of him.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))9/3 18:39Sat Mar 9 18:39:45 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1079

You are silly.

We?ll finish 6th. And then it will get really weird?

By InvaderOfPitches19/3 18:42Sat Mar 9 18:42:32 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1078

I reckon we beat derby and maybe edge posh.

not much of a chance with the others

Cheers,

InvaderOfPitches

By Tucks10/3 07:54Sun Mar 10 07:54:34 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 763

Better ask David Beckham before edging his wife.

By RussD819/3 18:20Sat Mar 9 18:20:54 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1140

More half full for me.

I?m sure if in July if anyone on here was asked that if on the 9th March we would be 6th in the league, everyone would have ripped your arm off for it.

I think recent performances have been battling at best but we have still picked up results, today in a way shows how far we have come where a team come the Lamex and set up for a 0-0 and try to nick it the last 10-15 in league 1.

Today was one of those, a very bitty game and we probably could have played another 90 minutes and it still would have been 0-0 although frustrating you?ll get those over the course of a season.

My only complaint aside from some idiots in the north stand this season, is lack of plan b like today we didn?t have that difference maker from the bench, subs where very like for like (list for hemmings aside), but even that can be assigned to the fact on how far we have come in 2 years, make the play offs or not we have had a tremendous season.

Edited by RussD81 at 18:21:32 on 9th March 2024

By InvaderOfPitches19/3 18:38Sat Mar 9 18:38:34 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1061

pretty negative way of looking at football.

yes we aren't a huge club but we have an extremely competitive league one side. The league seems to be particularly weak this season given sides like orient and Northampton are in 10th & 11th.

We have comfortably beaten many sides this season and we aren't 6th purely out of luck. We should be aiming higher

cheer up

InvaderOfPitches

3 people like this 3 people

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))9/3 18:42Sat Mar 9 18:42:02 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1059

I must say, it?s brilliant to know we?ll be playing at least league one football next season, but I think the OP and others here feel that way too. Something good is still going to happen I reckon

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/3 19:09Sat Mar 9 19:09:53 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1011

Absolutely, to stay up was aim #1

And we've smashed that.

Which means we can enjoy it now come what may. And it will go down in our history as a great season.

BUT... Will we have the cajones and resources to come close again next season?

Or is this as good as it gets?

By InvaderOfPitches19/3 19:14Sat Mar 9 19:14:55 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1010

I disagree
Even before the season there were at least 6 sides who were significantly worse than us

Relegation was never going to happen

Cheers,

InvaderOfPitches

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)9/3 18:03Sat Mar 9 18:03:58 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1142

We can£t beat teams that setup to draw. Luckily we don£t have many of those left.

4 clean sheets in a row. Just the 1 bad result in the last 4 and we didn£t even lose.

By Pete (PeteH)9/3 17:42Sat Mar 9 17:42:27 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1195

We haven't done enough for the playoffs.

We're still in the mix because other teams keep mucking up. So, in one respect, it's still on.

But Posh and Oxford away will see us comfortably out of the running.

By RockyBottom9/3 17:39Sat Mar 9 17:39:35 2024In response to Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1199

I think we'll scrape the playoffs, but lack of firepower and ability will be our undoing over two legs.

For the love of god can we work on our attacking throwins! Not had a decent one all season.

Edited by RockyBottom at 17:41:20 on 9th March 2024

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/3 17:42Sat Mar 9 17:42:34 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1177

With Reid well always have a punchers chance, that ain't where we'll struggle.

By Steve 19709/3 18:49Sat Mar 9 18:49:06 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1043

Really disagree with the post , drew last week to a team who beat Barnsley 5-1 today , hardly ever get outplayed by anyone, yes today was frustrating but great squad and attitude.

I think we will get the play offs and I think the season is a hugely successful one to this point . Fleetwood and Burton are the only two teams in the division our sort of size . Incredibly harsh in my opinion.

By RockyBottom9/3 18:38Sat Mar 9 18:38:25 2024In response to Re: Glass half empty?Top of thread

Views: 1076

Well yeah, maybe firepower doesn't describe the problem correctly. We play a certain way, with players that give 100%, but not sure that is enough alone to make the next step. Sometimes we look a bit one dimensional.

No complaints though overall. Still punching massively above our weight. As you said though, doubt we'll ever get a better chance for a shot at The Championship.

Edited by RockyBottom at 18:38:38 on 9th March 2024

Previous thread: Sore prediction V Posh? by WASP12/3 13:11Tue Mar 12 13:11:49 2024view thread