BOROCHAT

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Ipswich Up, Birmingham Down by DaveToday 15:19Today at 15:19:46view thread

Oldest article: Most hated men in football......... by samborough17/1 19:04Wed Jan 17 19:04:46 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: List by haribo13/2 22:20Tue Feb 13 22:20:46 2024view thread

Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?

By Phoenix11/2 07:00Sun Feb 11 07:00:15 2024

Views: 1464

I'm starting to think he may have..... Nothing wrong with that of course, but IF we want to kick on from this sort of position then we know what to do.

Over to you Wallace.

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people

Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?

By Stevo13/2 21:48Tue Feb 13 21:48:07 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 432

Interesting.....

Re: Has Wallace taken us as far as he can?

By Sev12/2 19:43Mon Feb 12 19:43:20 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 740

Well, has he?

By StirlingBoro9112/2 22:37Mon Feb 12 22:37:48 2024In response to Re: Has Wallace taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 678

Looking at the disasters happening at so many teams in this league I feel absolutely chuffed that we have PW still.

He may not have the financial resources to make us a big player but for at least the foreseeable future I'm happy with us hitting a ceiling of Championship/L1 yo-yoing.

I was arguing with a Vale fan about who has made more progress recently then looked at the formation year of their club.

1876. They've had a hundred year head start on us and it's a similar story for most clubs at this level.

Call it unambitious but I'm just happy to live the dream of FL football for years to come and maybe a foray or two into the Championship.

Edited by StirlingBoro91 at 22:38:22 on 12th February 2024

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)13/2 08:16Tue Feb 13 08:16:34 2024In response to Re: Has Wallace taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 643

League one will do fine.

It's not the absolute financial basket case that the Championship is.

And if we have a bad year and get relegated we are still a football league club.

League two is probably our 'natural level' given our size and crowds, Evans know-how is the factor that has us punching above our weight, with Wallace's prudent business acumen also a big factor in our stability.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 09:41:47 on 13th February 2024

By RockyBottom13/2 14:08Tue Feb 13 14:08:50 2024In response to Re: Has Wallace taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 521

If we did go up we'd just have to stick to our guns and not go spunking money at 40k a week players.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Sev13/2 08:09Tue Feb 13 08:09:47 2024In response to Re: Has Wallace taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 578

Same

By Tucks12/2 19:48Mon Feb 12 19:48:55 2024In response to Re: Has Wallace taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 717

The Scots asked a similar question before the battle of Falkirk.

2 people like this 2 people

By StirlingBoro9112/2 11:30Mon Feb 12 11:30:47 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 763

Big Steve has failed to win us the League Cup, the FA Cup, and how on earth aren't we 24pts clear with 90pts from 90 available at this point?!

Sort it out Phil.

Big Steve out ?

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))11/2 16:21Sun Feb 11 16:21:55 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 963

Dull. But you hooked a few

By MerseyBoro (BrummieBoro)11/2 14:01Sun Feb 11 14:01:51 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 979

We'd be in the National League without Big Steve enjoying trips to B*rnet and W*king.

Most of the clubs above and around us have considerably bigger budgets. Short of a megastar buying the club (maybe Lewis Hamilton with his Ferrari sign-on bonus) and a 'Welcome to Stevenage' docuseries, there's possibly not much further we can go.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)11/2 13:39Sun Feb 11 13:39:30 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 997

Nurse!

By ForestBoro3511/2 12:19Sun Feb 11 12:19:32 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1023

It's probably the most incredible amount of bollocks post I've seen on here in a while.

League one is a lot harder to league two, but to be where we are considering we were one of the favourites to go down is somewhat an over achievement this season,thanks to the decent manager we currently have.

6 people like this 6 people

By Deltic 21 (Spirit of East Coast Boro)11/2 12:19Sun Feb 11 12:19:04 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1020

Christ alive! And THREE people like this?? I despair sometimes, I really do.

3 people like this 3 people

By ForestBoro3511/2 12:20Sun Feb 11 12:20:16 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1000

Because some fans agree with opinions that we don't always agree with. Very bizarre, but each to their own.

By SFC Jonny11/2 11:17Sun Feb 11 11:17:21 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1017

This is the maddest thing I've seen on here for ages.

If we didn't concede a stupid pen yesterday, and if Reading didn't score a freak throw-in goal, we'd all be talking about Steve pushing us into the automatics.

Chill out. This is as good as it's ever been.

By Steve 197011/2 10:23Sun Feb 11 10:23:24 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1089

Edited by Steve 1970 at 11:08:17 on 11th February 2024

By RussD8111/2 10:00Sun Feb 11 10:00:23 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1077

Absolutely insane question. This is the best this club has ever had it and people need to remember that.

The question is has Wallace taken us a far as he can and the answer to that question is also no.

Being smart, intelligent and good at what you do is 10x fold what money would bring. It took Man City nearly 20 years with unlimited funds to win the champions league and with the net tightening on finances top to bottom, good owners and good managers will be worth more than the likes of a Haaland.

There are plenty of clubs around the country that would rip their arms off to have a leadership team like we have at the moment. Evans is marmite personality wise but on the football from anyone that criticises or questions what he has done here needs their heads examined (dropping TAH aside :-) )

Edited by RussD81 at 10:01:05 on 11th February 2024

By Freemo11/2 09:54Sun Feb 11 09:54:26 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1075

I think lately there are signs that Evans is relying too heavily on things that have worked up til this point, or his bad habits are becoming more prominent as we can get away with fewer mistakes in L1. The ref comments have become wall to wall, signing Oliver and reverting to head tennis too early in games, picking midfield formations that clearly won't work and having to correct mid-match. Whatever is going on with Taye.

None of means we shouldn't give him the chance to adapt further, he has clearly earned it.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)11/2 09:34Sun Feb 11 09:34:50 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1085

I am very happy with BIG STEVE as our manager.

By #TeamTaye (Chuds)11/2 09:34Sun Feb 11 09:34:31 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1092

If the new manager would actually play Taye instead of dropping him for absolutely no reason in favour of a loan goalkeeper who isn't as good, then definitely, do it.

#TeamTaye

By Stevenageloyal11/2 09:29Sun Feb 11 09:29:51 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1108

This must be a troll from
Another club surely????

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)11/2 08:43Sun Feb 11 08:43:51 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1154

Badly worded question, always going to attract a lot of "what the fuck are you on" responses.

The premis that given our size, our finances, and Steve's record that we probably couldn't survive in The Championship is however a realistic one, or at least the odds would be stacked against us.

But then Wimbledon defied those odds, Bournemouth, Luton... OK none of those were quite as small as us, but it can be done.

Whether Steve is the man to do it? All managers have a shelf life so I have no idea but I'd rather have him at the helm than any other realistically attainable manager for now.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 09:32:15 on 11th February 2024

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))11/2 16:25Sun Feb 11 16:25:14 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 849

I dread the day he isn?t in charge. It?ll be back to Maamria, Revell, Racist twat etc. Wallace will be appointing idiots and we?ll be L2 or worse. Enjoy these moments!

By jayess11/2 10:34Sun Feb 11 10:34:53 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1050

A better question might be has SE taken us as far as any manager could, given our resources?
The answer might well be yes, but I think we would all agree we are on a remarkable journey.
He is a pain in the arse in many ways, otherwise he would surely still be working at a higher level. Some of his comments are ridiculous ("we should have beaten Reading by 6") and constantly blaming officials while bleating on about an anti-Stevenage conspiracy is embarrassing. Every clubs gets bad decisions, Steve. If you had got your formation right from the beginning yesterday and ditched the theory that Oliver is somehow a better bet than Hemmings the penalty would have been irrelevant.
BUT...we love what you have done for us. You've got an awful lot of credit in the bank.

By SFCfox11/2 10:53Sun Feb 11 10:53:24 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1016

I take his interviews with a pinch of salt, but he's creating a seige mentality within the camp and i for one love it

By Tucks11/2 08:41Sun Feb 11 08:41:11 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1144

Without Evans we wouldn?t be in League One now, let alone within touching distance of the Championship.

Sorry but this is a very silly question.

7 people like this 7 people

By NorfolkIAN11/2 08:19Sun Feb 11 08:19:29 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1149

I?m seriously disappointed that this has managed 3 likes. Where?s the dislike button when you need it?

By SparkyToes11/2 07:51Sun Feb 11 07:51:53 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1167

I know I'm not answering your question directly, but I haven't enjoyed my football at Stevenage this much since Graham Westley took us out of the non league. I wouldn't want to change that.

By Owen B11/2 07:51Sun Feb 11 07:51:36 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1184

For the size of club we are, I think the sharp end of League 1 is pretty damn good. We could sneak up via the play offs. However, we're also in the position where the finances would have to ramp up by a massive multiple to become, say, a mid table Championship club.

I would say that the only way to improve the infrastructure to enable this is to do it slowly. Crowds of 5k can only get us so far.

Enjoy the ride. Our small club is having a go against the odds.

7 people like this 7 people

By RockyBottom11/2 15:23Sun Feb 11 15:23:34 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 884

We took less than 150 fans yesterday. We are a small lower league/ higher tier non-league club massively punching above our weight. I don't always like/ agree with his comments or decisions but we don't have the budget to sign big hitters at this level. Realistically we have to play a certain way if we want to get results. At least the team look as if they give a shit.

Like it/ him or not he's a great fit for our club. Like a better version of Westley.

Edited by RockyBottom at 15:23:53 on 11th February 2024

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)11/2 08:33Sun Feb 11 08:33:31 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1120

Whatever happens we don't want any of the Hollywood FC type pantomimes.Another one happening now at Chorley where Boyzone members may buy club .

By SFCfox11/2 07:32Sun Feb 11 07:32:05 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1179

We can only go 5 places higher up the table!

I take it your post was sarcasm?

Edited by SFCfox at 07:32:18 on 11th February 2024

By RedandWhite11/2 07:17Sun Feb 11 07:17:36 2024In response to Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1204

Bloody hell!!!

Were you not around for the six or seven seasons before BIG STEVE came and rescued us.

I would rather be where we are now than before.

Who would not want to be challenging for promotion with him.

You just need to look at all the other clubs that decide to get rid of a manager when they are doing well and look where that gets them.

My mate at Birmingham would bite your hand off for Eustace to still being at his club this season.

What failed managers on the merry go round would you like to see in then?

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))11/2 16:26Sun Feb 11 16:26:40 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 884

The players between Saarllll leaving and Evans arriving were the worst to ever plsy for the club. It was awful

By borogent11/2 08:51Sun Feb 11 08:51:51 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1105

Pathetic comment

By Phoenix11/2 07:38Sun Feb 11 07:38:21 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1171

I'm not even sure if I would like to see a change of manager as like you say would be a gamble, but I think the question in the thread title is a valid one.

By SFCfox11/2 08:39Sun Feb 11 08:39:24 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1124

Is it? 99% of our fanbase have been nervous all season that Sir Steve may leave us for bigger and better project.

Your question is a non-starter

Reality check here...

By Northstandbloke11/2 09:52Sun Feb 11 09:52:08 2024In response to Re: Has Big Steve taken us as far as he can?Top of thread

Views: 1137

Whilst I cannot agree with the point that's been made here I do think that there some hard thinking can't be avoided.The objective of every footy team and its executives has to be how far can we go. With our ground and fan base today it would be unrealistic to think that we could survive in the Championship. Yes, small teams have done it but mountains of cash would have to go alongside to pay for suitable players and managers and this brings me to my central point. If the objective of getting into the Championship let alone doing well doesn't stand up to reality then what manager will want to work with us,.

Steve Evans is ambitious, he, I'm sure ,wants to take us as far as he can but I'm certain that the one reasons that will take him elsewhere will be our limitations. It's the same with new players, The problem is not with Steve but with Phil Wallace, what to do?The extension of the Lamex is both contentious and expensive, finding and building a new stadium is an very unlikely option given the perception of the Local Authorities attitude to such an idea and the cost , well ....

Maybe a tacit acceptance that we might have to yoyo up and down into and out of the Championship until land and money comes available. Sorry to be such a party pooper but sometimes hard decisions have to be considered.

Re: Reality check here...

By Tucks11/2 16:13Sun Feb 11 16:13:53 2024In response to Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 878

I think the main thing we need to worry about is what happens post-Evans, regardless of when that day comes. His arrival at the club has something of the perfect storm about it. He has the experience and contacts to squeeze every last drop out of the resources available to him here. And he had a point to prove. There?s been lots of talk of a ?Crewe model? over the years. We found success in an alternative direction.

I hope if we do go up we don?t ever overstretch. See Yeovil for the results of doing so. Stevenage as a town is expanding and so is our fan base. That has a knock on effect for the club but it?s always a case of walking before we run.

Sustaining Championship football in future isn?t beyond us. But it will require a sensible, coherent plan behind the scenes. If it?s a case of just giving it to Revs once Evans leaves then we might have some problems.

We should be enjoying the position we?re in though. We?re in what most likely will be the most successful league season the club has ever seen and some people are still not happy. It?s not hyperbole, we?re very lucky to be a football league club still, let alone potentially on the cusp of the second tier.

By RockyBottom11/2 15:27Sun Feb 11 15:27:16 2024In response to Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 899

There's absolutely no need for a new stadium or expansion given our crowds. I wish the recent expansions and improvements had been carried out to a better standard, but they haven't. The one think we 100% need to invest in is the relocation of the club shop. Personally, if allowed, I would site it under the back of the East Terrace with bar facilities for the East tacked on that are accessible at ht.

Edited by RockyBottom at 15:28:04 on 11th February 2024

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)11/2 12:07Sun Feb 11 12:07:05 2024In response to Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 981

"Maybe a tacit acceptance that we might have to yoyo up and down into and out of the Championship"

Christ! Is bouncing between the top end of L1 and bottom of The Championship all we've got to look forward to?

Where's our ambition?

Might as well fold the club if that's it.

By Freemo11/2 10:01Sun Feb 11 10:01:34 2024In response to Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 1098

I think this is right. Evans will decide he's taken us as far as he can before we do. Whoever replaces him will be sprinting flat out just to stand still.

Even if we got a sugar daddy they would probably end up building a new ground and Boro would be a different club than the one it is now, a less popular clone of MK Dons.

By RockyBottom11/2 15:29Sun Feb 11 15:29:15 2024In response to Re: Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 928

'Even if we got a sugar daddy they would probably end up building a new ground and Boro would be a different club than the one it is now, a less popular clone of MK Dons.'

I would absolutely hate that. A bland, souless ground just off the A1. Would kill the club IMO.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)11/2 19:16Sun Feb 11 19:16:26 2024In response to Re: Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 877

Were already just off the A1?

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 19:22:53 on 11th February 2024

By RockyBottom11/2 21:00Sun Feb 11 21:00:26 2024In response to Re: Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 831

I know, I meant the bit by the Novatel.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)11/2 21:16Sun Feb 11 21:16:18 2024In response to Re: Reality check here...Top of thread

Views: 803

That?s now an electric car charging station.

Previous thread: Probably nothing but was wondering by StirlingBoro9113/2 17:08Tue Feb 13 17:08:33 2024view thread