ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.borochat.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: This Saturday by SevYesterday 21:40Yesterday at 21:40:23view thread

Oldest article: Match Thread by WASP30/12/2017 15:14Sat Dec 30 15:14:33 2017view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: SA Race Night by SA Administrator3/2 14:18Sat Feb 3 14:18:23 2018view thread

Thoughts lads and lasses?

By Boromatt2/2 11:40Fri Feb 2 11:40:31 2018

Views: 774

I'm still keeping hold of what some people might call deluded optimism about Saturday. I think the new boys coming in could cause some competition between the players, might even improve the performances, who knows!? Thoughts on Saturday? A tricky one, 3 months of the season left, IMO I think we only need another 12 points to definitely be safe, hopefully we can finish the season with better, more consistent results than we've seen of late.

As of tomorrow, I would look to play a few of the new boys that have arrived at the club this week, to really make some of the boys challenge for their shirts and hopefully improve the performances from the players.

Prediction? Mine have been all over the place this season, if Darren can get the tactics right tomorrow, play a tighter team, if the players can work hard every minute, I think we can definitely get a point tomorrow maybe even sneak a win, who knows?

Really looking forward to it, the long journey up tomorrow morning, it says it's going to snow as well, should be a good laugh, COYB!

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   6 people dislike this 6 people

Re: Thoughts lads and lasses?

By Lock132/2 19:36Fri Feb 2 19:36:04 2018In response to Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 326

I think we will win 4 nil , do Luton 3-1 next Saturday and everyone will wonder what all the fuss is about. Can't believe you lot ! You wouldn't find me giving up on the finest young Manager to come out of the Jackmans just as he is turning a corner.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Tucks2/2 16:18Fri Feb 2 16:18:22 2018In response to Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 459

I'm expecting a loss, at least that way I can't be disappointed.

We've put in some really toothless displays of late. Hopefully the new faces will inject something to the side but to expect that in the first game (and next week against Luton for that matter) is too soon I'd say.

My fear is that we lose tomorrow and lose next Saturday and things could get quite hostile on the terraces towards DS and some of the players, not to mention on here. While it'd be nice to get something over those two games, let's not expect it as a fanbase.

Now, who do we play? We've got a few more options to choose from now so hopefully DS will use this as an excuse to change things up a bit.

The formation I'd play and the players I'd pick change every time I think about it but at this moment I'd like to see:

Day (always Day)
Vancooten King Wilmot Franks
Goddard Smith Amos Conlon
Revell Godden

Subs: King, Henry, Wilko, McKee, Bowditch, Kennedy, Newton.

I don't think we've got much hope of anything better than a mid-table finish so think Vancooten and Wilmot should be getting as much game time as possible. Franks' pashun of late merits a spot in the team for me if Martin isn't fit. I'm fed up of Kennedy at the moment but he's a good option from the bench. That's why I've gone for Conlon (not sure what the situation is with Samuel and Whelps atm). Amos over McKee because he simply played better on Tuesday.

Depending on how the game is going I'd be looking to bring Newton on for one of the strikers (preferably Godden) on the hour mark. A fresh Newton on for the last half an hour can terrorise a defence. McKee on for Amos at some point and Bowditch on for someone to get a look at him at some point.

What we'll see will probably be more like:
King
Henry King Wilmot Vancooten
Goddard Smith McKee Kennedy
Revell Godden

Either way, let's hope for the best and plan for the worst.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By BaldockBoro (Balders)2/2 16:37Fri Feb 2 16:37:31 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 438

You had me until you wrote Smith.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Tucks2/2 18:16Fri Feb 2 18:16:33 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 374

I had myself until I wrote Smith tbf. The only CM we've got capable of doing some of the dirty work as we know Kingy won't be playing in midfield. If a miracle occurred then have King for Smith and Wilko at CB.

By SFCfox3/2 08:22Sat Feb 3 08:22:03 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 183

Smith's alright. Just like the rest of our team he has good and bad moments but because his face doesn't fit at Boro he gets a lot of the flack. As he doesn't look like a player that Westley would sign he's immidately written off by a large majority.

He needs to shave his head, bulk up and get some tattoos.

By Tucks3/2 08:33Sat Feb 3 08:33:30 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 177

He was being heralded as signing of the summer a month or so into the season, he hasn't been immediately written off.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him, but he hasn't done much in recent times other than getting booked a lot. I wouldn't say his face doesn't fit, just that he came in looking solid enough and has gone backwards imo.

By BaldockBoro (Balders)3/2 09:36Sat Feb 3 09:36:10 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 158

Nothing to do with his face, his floppy wavy fringe ( I quite like his hair) or anything other than his football ability.

He gets booked too often, as a result of being a bit late into tackles usually, which means for the remainder of games he can't tackle.

Even when he can tackle he usually gets within 3-4 yards of his man but that's all, no attempt to intercept, just hold up , wave a leg, or shadow the man. This is what winds me up most, he won't impose himself on the midfield. Maybe he's not 'that' type of player, but as the biggest experienced CM he should be. He should see that Gorman, McKee and Pett couldn't do it and someone needs to.

Aerially he competes and wins a few.

He even pops up with an occassional goal.

His passing is not the best.

He's just a bit anonymous. As my daughter says 'He's just boring to watch, what does he actually do'

Just not a fan, I was but not anymore. So I do see the negatives more than the positives now, human nature innit.

Edited by Balders at 09:37:01 on 3rd February 2018

3 people like this 3 people   

By Cruffers3/2 09:51Sat Feb 3 09:51:16 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 150

Just view him as Roy Keane, without all the rough tough stuff. Keane’s biggest strength was doing the boring simple things, but doing them effectively. Sometimes it’s not about a tackle, it’s just closing down space and restricting options.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)3/2 08:42Sat Feb 3 08:42:06 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 170

It was that wayward pass that allowed the opposition to score that sealed his fate.

By vinnyhen2/2 14:11Fri Feb 2 14:11:05 2018In response to Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 520

Couple of things spring to mind Matt. Firstly, whatever tactics Darren has been using, I haven’t really worked out what they are, he’ll be using again, in other words the wrong ones. Secondly, he hasn’t gelled a team together all season with virtually the same players so what hope tomorrow with several new ones?
Our only hope is that a few of the new lads come up trumps but can only see a defeat I’m afraid, hope I’m wrong and enjoy the trip.

By Boromatt2/2 15:03Fri Feb 2 15:03:12 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 472

Good point made Vin. I think the thing is, as you say, Darren hasn't gelled the team all season, with playing the new boys it might freshen up things, it might even bring a little competition for places and improve performances, especially individual ones. Thanks! :)

Edited by Boromatt at 15:03:34 on 2nd February 2018

By On me 'ead2/2 15:49Fri Feb 2 15:49:51 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 443

My thoughts exactly Matt and Vin. If we can get the new boys playing early doors before DS saps the willpower out if them a point is optimistic

Sad but like many on here I feel 12 points will see us safe
Don't see us looking up.
At best we are inconsistent
At worst we can make you want to give up football

It's the truth

By Freemo2/2 12:49Fri Feb 2 12:49:00 2018In response to Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 564

I was planning on going but my mate's asked if I want to see Dronfield Town instead so I've snapped his hand off.

By Richie Rich C2/2 12:31Fri Feb 2 12:31:40 2018In response to Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 580

I think your account has been hacked by Russian Woking supporters who are doing everything they can to keep Sarlz in a job , they are my thoughts

By Pete (PeteH)2/2 11:44Fri Feb 2 11:44:18 2018In response to Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 641

should be a good laugh

You know it's Accrington? If the weather's shite, let's hope the game goes ahead(!)

By Copeysaurus2/2 11:41Fri Feb 2 11:41:28 2018In response to Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 647

I think we we lose.

Prediction? Mine have been all over the place this season

You predict a "sneaky" victory every week!

Edited by Copeysaurus at 11:44:26 on 2nd February 2018

By BaldockBoro (Balders)2/2 12:47Fri Feb 2 12:47:47 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 568

No he doesn't ? What Matt usually says, reflecting his optimism is...

'"I think we can sneak a win if Darren puts out the right team/formation"

Which is what many of us think, insofar as

"we won't win because we'll play the wring players/formation/tactics but we could if we got the selection right"

Were all looking at the same glass, Matt sees the milk in the bottom half, we see the air above it*

This place needs Matt's positivity now that Sev has got back on the fence.

*Whilst Darren remains distracted by the squirrels

Edited by Balders at 12:48:51 on 2nd February 2018

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Sawyer2/2 12:54Fri Feb 2 12:54:12 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 568

Darren wouldn't get the tactics right against Accrington under 8's let alone the senior team.. Hoping for a point, expecting a drab loss with one shot on goal if we're lucky..

Edited by Sawyer at 12:54:23 on 2nd February 2018
Edited by Sawyer at 12:54:50 on 2nd February 2018

2 people like this 2 people   

By Deano (deanos13)2/2 15:21Fri Feb 2 15:21:23 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 476

I'm so glad I committed to going tomorrow on Monday rather than Wednesday am.

Not only that but I have 4 and a half hours in a car with Hedgie.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)2/2 15:32Fri Feb 2 15:32:16 2018In response to Re: Thoughts lads and lasses? Top of thread

Views: 461

Plus 8 hours in a snowdrift on the M62.

Previous thread: BREAKING NEWS - NORTH STAND UPDATE by The Daily Stevenage1/2 11:09Thu Feb 1 11:09:20 2018view thread