ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.borochat.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: EFL & Boro by BankerbobToday 22:58Today at 22:58:51view thread

Oldest article: Boro Fives Table by Sev27/12/2017 18:14Wed Dec 27 18:14:53 2017view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Strange signings by RockyBottom1/2 10:11Thu Feb 1 10:11:17 2018view thread

All this turnover of players

By Puds (Chuds)31/1 14:25Wed Jan 31 14:25:51 2018

Views: 1248

When there only needs to be a turnover of one person.

Such a waste of money.

Also rather shows a manager with an inability to make use of his options doesn't it? We'll see a huge turnover of players every windows whilst he's here, when the issue is with him and not his squad(s).

reply to this article | return to the front page

11 people like this 11 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: All this turnover of players

By Sev31/1 18:49Wed Jan 31 18:49:12 2018In response to All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 730

Did you see Sarll's interview when we anounce signing of Revell. Something along the lines of we have the best front 5 the club has ever had. (Godden, Newton, Samuel, Kennedy, Revell)

If that's the case why can't we do a shot on goal?

8 people like this 8 people   

By Ratman4631/1 19:04Wed Jan 31 19:04:00 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 626

Talking absolute bollocks as usual

3 people like this 3 people   

By Puds (Chuds)31/1 19:02Wed Jan 31 19:02:17 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 627

No. I stopped watching his interviews a long time ago as I got fed up with the utter bollocks he spouts after every match. It started out with him just saying what the fans wanted to hear, which bore no relation to what we were seeing on the pitch and then just became him chatting absolute rubbish that wasn't even designed to placate the fans. His interviews were making me think he was even more clueless than I already did so I felt it best to not listen to him.

If he did say that, it rather backs up the point I've made many times, and was saying to you at Chesterfield, that we have attacking options that are clearly very very talented and we are fortunate to have at L2 level (add Pett to your list if he hadn't been wasted in stupid positions all season). But that we are hugely wasting them, by weird line-ups/formations and by a terrible style of play that offers them no service whatsoever and a style that doesn't best suit any of them. Before we know it we'll have lost at least half of them and we'll be back to only having one decent offensive option and really struggling.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Pete (PeteH)31/1 18:56Wed Jan 31 18:56:30 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 632

Because there's naff all going on between defence and attack.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Mercury 8831/1 17:33Wed Jan 31 17:33:43 2018In response to All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 743

DS has ruined the club this season without fail.

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Deano (deanos13)31/1 17:53Wed Jan 31 17:53:28 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 750

It kind of annoys me that I read this.

You CANNOT lay the blame for this season purely at the feet of Darren. He doesn't sign all the players. Yes the recruitment in the summer was poor. But you have to look at Leon for some of that as well as Darren, and ultimately Phil.

Phil gives them a budget and if we can only sign 5 players on a grand a week but player 1 wants £1200 then player 4 or 5 gets £800. It's just how it is. Like we obviously had to wait for Northampton to sign a striker before we could sign Revell. I heard we were signing Revell 10 days ago and boy how good would that have been to have him on Saturday and last night....? But we are bottom of the food chain.

We can only pay people what comes in the club, and if money isn't coming over the turnstiles we have to sell players. We sell players, the team doesn't perform as well, the team doesn't perform, people don't pay at the turnstiles. Et cetera Et cetera.

So I think to point this finger at Darren alone is harsh and he certainly hasn't 'ruined the club this season'

9 people like this 9 people   

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))1/2 09:50Thu Feb 1 09:50:25 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 267

You'll get nowhere by pointing out the realities of League 2 football on here

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Richie Rich C1/2 10:04Thu Feb 1 10:04:32 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 274

Surely the same realities existed when we made the league 2 playoffs twice?

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))1/2 13:12Thu Feb 1 13:12:34 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 200

If you're saying bring back GW then we can be friends

By AgentEves31/1 23:12Wed Jan 31 23:12:41 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 443

The recruitment of players wasn't the issue.

However, releasing/selling perfectly good players without playing them enough, not playing players in their primary positions, not playing our best players, not having a set style that the team sticks to, persisting with players who were consistently under performing, and not being able to change anything during the game, are all things which are 100% Darren's fault.

If anything, I'd say the quality of the signings (King, Newton, Godden, Samuel) has been his one saving grace.

By Deano (deanos13)31/1 23:20Wed Jan 31 23:20:37 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 439

That's 4 from 25? One of those 4 doesn't/won't play

By AgentEves31/1 23:24Wed Jan 31 23:24:16 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 394

That was just a quick selection of the good players we've picked up off the top of my head.

Of all the players we've signed, I don't think any of them have been TERRIBLE with the exception of Liburd. At least I can't think of any.

We haven't had any Bondz N'Gala, Miguel Comminges, Lee Hills, Oliver Risser, etc calibre shitness.

By AgentEves31/1 23:40Wed Jan 31 23:40:05 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 369

Signings over the last two seasons:

Fox - ?/5 - literally never saw him play.
Godden - 5/5 - no explanation required. Completely wasting him.
Jones - 2.5/5 - not awful. Glad we released him, though.
Liburd - 0/5.
Hyde - 0/5.
McAnuff - 4/5 - lazy cunt but showed signs of being excellent.
Ntlhe - 3/5 - solid enough.
Preston - ?/5 - backup keeper, cant rate him.
Jack King - 5/5 - our best player, imo, by an absolute country mile.
Cowans - 1/5 - looked pony but barely played in fairness.
McKirdy - 2/5 - indifferent, but had no major impact.
Walker - 3/5 - looked great, but got injured.
Loft - 1/5 - turgid.
McQuoid - 2.5/5 - not awful.
Ogilvie - 4/5 - solid left back. Very good signing.
Hinds - 1/5 - turgid. How the fuck he got signed by Wolfsburg is beyond me.
Beautyman - 3/5 - looked good, but barely got a chance.
Ferry - ?/5 - no idea because he never played.
Martin - 3/5 - gets slated, but not sure why. Unspectacular, but decent enough.
Newton - 4/5 - Started outstandingly, has plateaued a bit. Not playing to his strengths.
Samuel - 3/5 - looks good, but again, isn't played enough.
Turgott - ?/5 - literally saw him play once, ONCE AGAIN, not given a chance. Pointless signing.
Vancooten - 4/5 - looks excellent. Barely plays.
Whelpdale - 2/5 - signed to appease the fans, I assume. Not been great.
Lokko - ?/5 - never seen him.
Smith - 2.5/5 - started well, but hasn't been fantastic. Not a terrible player, though.
Fryer - 2/5 - ropey as fuck.
Wakefield - ?/5 - never saw him.
Wootton - ?/5 - saw him once, maybe?

Can't rate anyone else because they either signed after I left or I've forgotten them.

So of the 22 players rated, I'd say 2 were 5*, 4 were 4* and 5 were 3*. That means 50% of the signings were average or better. I'd say that was pretty good.

By Deano (deanos13)31/1 23:48Wed Jan 31 23:48:28 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 372

4 of that 11 never/rarely play.

McAnuff a 4 - generous

Which leaves Godden, King, Ogilvie, Newton, Martin and Kgosi (who was booted at the first sign of Ogilvie, so by their own admission - not good enough) but the others I can't argue

By Jonnym81/2 09:59Thu Feb 1 09:59:24 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 253

McAnuff would walk into this current team. When he was good, we were good. Fell apart at the end of the season and the team
Followed.

By argee31/1 19:18Wed Jan 31 19:18:42 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 602

But it is clear from his pre and post match interviews that he is a pickled onion short of a ploughman's lunch. A terrible advert for schooling in Letchworth or for wherever he comes from.

4 people like this 4 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Richie Rich C31/1 18:52Wed Jan 31 18:52:46 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 615

But I don't think we have bad players.
I believe we have the best CDM in the league but we play him at CB
We have CBs good enough to be in play off teams
We have two of the best 5 strikers in the league that if we're rotated properly we get more goals

We have a talented in the hole play maker ithat doesn't get a chance and a younger one who is brilliant but showing signs of burnout by being over played.

So I don't see a problem with recruitment or signings.

I do however see a manager who has now lost the support of many who were behind him who continues to pick players who have dropped form from playing the wrong formation and out of position.

More worryingly he has started using squads having bigger budget excuses , he is no longer Westley lite he is now Smith2

By AgentEves31/1 23:16Wed Jan 31 23:16:55 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 412

Yep. Sarll = Smith Mk II.

To compare him to Westley is such a disservice to Westley. At least he had a plan, it just took a while for it to fall into place. But you knew it was there and that it was coming. We've had 2 seasons of garbage from Sarll. It's literally exactly the same now as it was at the start of his tenure. All the same mistakes occuring, the same drab style, with a rotation of players under his control.

The players are NOT the problem. The manager is. He has to go if we want to go anywhere.

But we don't. So he'll carry on in charge.

I honestly think Wallace is the one who needs to go. I appreciate that he's running a tight ship, and appreciate some of the things he's done, but his appointment of managers is fucking abysmal and his latest lack of ambition is becoming glaringly obvious.

Edited by AgentEves at 23:18:26 on 31st January 2018

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Deano (deanos13)31/1 23:22Wed Jan 31 23:22:47 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 424

You are the 2nd respected person to say that in the last 24 hours

By Thora1/2 10:40Thu Feb 1 10:40:54 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 241

There must have been three cos I alluded to it too.

By Ratman461/2 10:11Thu Feb 1 10:11:38 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 254

I wouldn't blame PW either if he does want to sell, nearly 20 years at the helm is some going and he'd be leaving it in a far better state that when he came.

We should name the new North Stand after him :-)

By Mercury 8831/1 18:44Wed Jan 31 18:44:45 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 618

So who do we point the finger to for the shit style of football and the bad run this season ?

Does the board tell DS how to play the football and choose the formation and tactics then when it comes to on the pitch issues ?

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Rotterdamboro31/1 18:36Wed Jan 31 18:36:26 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 650

So who takes the blame for signing Liburd? I know I bang on about him time and time again but I just can't square it in my own head how much money the club wasted on him. Yes, the club sometimes has to take a punt on an unknown but even a half-blind Japanese tourist with dementia could see a giraffe with gangrene and haemorroids had more footballing ability in one mouldy toe than this bloke. Absolutely scandalous

By Freemo31/1 19:40Wed Jan 31 19:40:03 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 542

Just found out he's at Guiseley with Callum McFadzean. Christ, I've got some magic beans to sell them.

By Ratman4631/1 18:32Wed Jan 31 18:32:38 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 633

Agree, it's from top to bottom.

I'd suggest letting the one person you didn't mention go in Roeder, what does he offer for the money he's on.

By Goolies31/1 15:36Wed Jan 31 15:36:58 2018In response to All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 901

Beginning to feel like we�re under Teddy again. It seems we have one good season, then follow it with a terrible season. In all honesty, I just want the season to end now.

By Roland Rimbs (BD)31/1 19:06Wed Jan 31 19:06:56 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 567

But last season was shit too?

By Danny-da-Bass31/1 21:54Wed Jan 31 21:54:12 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 475

Was it?

depends on what measure you define shit with.

Playing for an auto spot with 8 games to go, beating the eventual league champions (which started our end of season demise I’ll give you) and playing for a play off spot right up to the last game of the season was good enough for me.

By Roland Rimbs (BD)31/1 22:37Wed Jan 31 22:37:25 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 441

We had one purple patch mid season which I think was the blip in an otherwise turgid campaign. I think how crap this season has been shows that. They were some pretty enjoyable away games, mind.

Edited by BD at 22:37:36 on 31st January 2018

By Ratman4631/1 22:41Wed Jan 31 22:41:51 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 434

Agree, was poor at home, good away, then the stars aligned and we went on that 10 game unbeaten run. Luton away was the highlight for me.

Colchester was horrific and Blackpool turgid.

By Lock1331/1 21:56Wed Jan 31 21:56:20 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 453

yeh all we had to do was get 1 point from 8 games :)

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Thora31/1 15:19Wed Jan 31 15:19:04 2018In response to All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 962

It also* shows a Chairman who has had enough of putting money into the club but doesn't want to sell until he's made a bit of dough back by selling youth team players and can bump the price up by selling up when there is a shiny new stand on the stadium.

*perhaps (for legal reasons)

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Ratman4631/1 15:35Wed Jan 31 15:35:20 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 868

Possibly new owners in July then.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Thora31/1 15:57Wed Jan 31 15:57:12 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 809

At the last Meet The Chairman I attended I asked him what, if he's putting £500k per season in (as he'd said he was), made him carry on after all the success we'd had.

He said "winning".

Cogito ergo sum...

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)31/1 14:39Wed Jan 31 14:39:08 2018In response to All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 1002

You need to get AgentEves back from Canada to set up the dream management team.

By BaldockBoro (Balders)31/1 18:07Wed Jan 31 18:07:14 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 659

They can keep Goolies as part of a swap ;)

By Pat (PatJ5)1/2 09:36Thu Feb 1 09:36:09 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 254

I disapprove of this deal. We want our Goolies back.

By AgentEves31/1 15:53Wed Jan 31 15:53:04 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 828

I wouldn’t have sold Beautyman for starters.

By Armando Amanalone (Albert Tatlock)31/1 23:55Wed Jan 31 23:55:52 2018In response to Re: All this turnover of playersTop of thread

Views: 371

agreed.

i had a mittoon of game pate in Ely on Tuesday as a starter and it was excellent.

Previous thread: Cum shot by Deltic 211/2 10:53Thu Feb 1 10:53:21 2018view thread