ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.borochat.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: This Saturday by SevYesterday 21:40Yesterday at 21:40:23view thread

Oldest article: Team News by Mercury 8830/12/2017 14:08Sat Dec 30 14:08:18 2017view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 3 Days Left by Lock1328/1 17:07Sun Jan 28 17:07:12 2018view thread

Finally!

By Boromatt28/1 17:46Sun Jan 28 17:46:13 2018

Views: 919

To finally write a thread on post match thoughts, with an away win is fantastic for a change! It's been a long 4 months for our away form, many miles travelled and many poor results and performances, FINALLY, our first away win yesterday! A big win IMO, 4 matches unbeaten since the turn of the year, 8 points from the last 12,a nice 12 point cushion from the drop and having 38 points at this stage of the season is a big positive.

All season long, I've said week after week that if Darren plays the right tactics, a tighter formation away from home, results will start to come our way, yesterday was an example of that. I thought he picked the perfect team selection considering the injury list and the perfect tactics. We've needed a big influence sitting in front of the back 4 for quite a while now, Fraser did the job brilliantly. He guarded the back 4, won his headers, tackles, always challenge for that second ball and took a lot of pressure away from King and Wilmot. Going forward I thought we looked very good once again, played some good stuff, looked threatening from balls in the box, Danny hitting the post, a hard work ethic all match long up top.

Our luck has turned, great chasing down by Kenners and a tap in goal, the amount of shit we've taken over the last 4 months from our away matches that was deserved! Something that hugely impressed me yesterday, was our defensive unit. All season we've looked very good going forward, creating chances, scoring goals (especially at home), but the other end we've had a few issues and conceding too many silly goals at times. Yesterday we defended brilliantly, we battled hard, threw bodies in front of any shot and looked very organised with some great talking from Tom in goal.

A fantastic win, finally the burden is over of not winning away, a cracking day and thoroughly enjoyable. Let's keep this momentum going and get over 40 points in another vital match Tuesday night. Sod all the premier league bollocks, supporting a club of our size is proper football! Lovely stuff! :)

reply to this article | return to the front page

6 people like this 6 people   6 people dislike this 6 people

Re: Finally!

By vinnyhen28/1 22:34Sun Jan 28 22:34:36 2018In response to Finally! Top of thread

Views: 485

Hardly a “ fantastic win” , vital yes, but the reality was two poor sides barely deserving a 0-0 borefest until a lucky break. Didn’t think any of the out of position players played well but can’t fault the effort and there were signs of gritty team spirit. Still, enjoyed my first away day for a while, nice ground, good beer, great burger ( 2nd only to Shrewsbury) and journey home with 3 points in the bag.
It’s the poorest Division I can remember and probably the only reason we’re not totally in the mire but as Matt says you can’t beat following your local team no matter how dogshit it maybe.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Mercury 8828/1 20:34Sun Jan 28 20:34:45 2018In response to Finally! Top of thread

Views: 561

Sounds as if Wilkinson up front confused most of the Boro fans as to why Sarll did that but hey each to their own opinion.

Hopefully tomorrow we sign some players too.

By Boromatt29/1 00:45Mon Jan 29 00:45:49 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 437

Matty and Kenners picked up knocks and Danny was out on his feet, we had no one else other than Andronicos. I think Wilko provided a bit of strength and height for the last 10 mins. I thought it was a clever decision.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Sev28/1 21:35Sun Jan 28 21:35:49 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 495

It wasn't that confusing a decision. It was because Kennedy and Godden got injured and Newton was fucked.

OK we could have put Georgiou on but the way we were playing a target man made sense. Didn't see much of the ball. It was simple someone to cause a bit of a nuisance in the last ten. Worked out alright.

By Puds (Chuds)28/1 22:21Sun Jan 28 22:21:16 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 464

We won so you can't really argue any of DS' decisions, but Georgiou made far more sense to me of all our available options in the situation, and even with hindsight as Wilkinson contributed nothing up there.

Georgiou would be more used to playing that position whereas Wilko looked lost, Georgiou would have offered more energy and pace to press them high up the field and force them into mistakes/early clearances, thus making it easier for us to keep them at bay, and offensively he would have offered the threat of getting in behind them via a ball over the top or down the channels.

Wilkinson should offer better ability/strength to hold the ball up or to win flick-ons if that was our intention, but we didn't play that way with him up there, and he only won about one header after he came on and gave the ball away horrendously with a ridiculous pass (we've seen many times his inability to pass the ball!).

By jayess28/1 19:34Sun Jan 28 19:34:32 2018In response to Finally! Top of thread

Views: 622

Let's be real. In our last ELEVEN away games we've scored FOUR goals. A win is a win, but keep the rosy tint off the specs Matt.

3 people like this 3 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Boromatt29/1 12:11Mon Jan 29 12:11:31 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 307

It's good to compare form over the season, but I think it's about time that we stop thinking back to the last 11 matches. This year we're unbeaten in 4 matches and have a draw and a win away, maybe we could be more positive???

5 people like this 5 people   

By BaldockBoro (Balders)29/1 21:10Mon Jan 29 21:10:18 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 211

Nah. This place is better when everyone is grumpy as fuck.

By Tucks28/1 19:28Sun Jan 28 19:28:18 2018In response to Finally! Top of thread

Views: 602

"I've said week after week that if Darren plays the right tactics, a tighter formation away from home, results will start to come our way, yesterday was an example of that. "

If it was as easy as that then we should have won an away game much sooner or Sarllz should have even out the door for not doing it a long while back.

3 people like this 3 people   

By BaldockBoro (Balders)28/1 19:32Sun Jan 28 19:32:21 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 594

If it was as easy as that then we should have won an away game much sooner

Darren has been busy and has only recently discovered the internet and the genius that is Matt's pre-match ritual thread.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By BaldockBoro (Balders)28/1 18:48Sun Jan 28 18:48:14 2018In response to Finally! Top of thread

Views: 647

Finally indeed.

Just maybe we've got that particular monkey off our back and we can build on it. (Even if I disagree with some of your comments, mostly the ones inferring we played well)

I'm far from convinced, tough games incoming, but here's hoping.

By Boromatt29/1 00:40Mon Jan 29 00:40:54 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 402

The way I look at it, since New Year's Day, we're having the best bit of form since September, which is an improvement. Football is a results business, a win is a win, whether it's 5-0 thrashing or a tough fought 1-0 win like Saturday, the end reward is the same! So in my eyes, Saturday was such an important win.

By SFCfox28/1 19:00Sun Jan 28 19:00:12 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 633

I didn't go yesterday but all i keep reading is that we played crap. Do we ever play well away from home? Usually it's a case of get the first goal then ride our luck for the remainder of the game. Even during our League One glory days!

By BaldockBoro (Balders)28/1 19:06Sun Jan 28 19:06:08 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 609

I've seen us play ok away from home this season. Ive definitely seen us play better than yesterday and get nothing.

First half was pretty abysmal from both sides.

Second half we didn't do too badly. Far from composed or a classic but we did ok, we didn't sit deep and invite pressure, we tried to play in their half as much as we could, even if we just lumped it there a lot of the time and let Newton chase it.

By Sev28/1 19:03Sun Jan 28 19:03:33 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 619

And we only ever win through luck remember!

Game wasn't great but it takes two to tango and we came out on top because we were better at all aspects yesterday. So however crap we might have been, Chesterfield were worse. This is so often the case when one team beats another.

The football hasn't been great in January but the result have been a lot better. 8 points from a possible 12 is a good return. We've sacrificed some entertainment for it though.

By BaldockBoro (Balders)28/1 19:06Sun Jan 28 19:06:54 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 621

I don't mind sacrificing entertainment for points. We need the latter more than the former at the moment.

Edited by Balders at 19:07:09 on 28th January 2018

By Owen28/1 19:06Sun Jan 28 19:06:48 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 619

We never had the entertainment to lose.

By Sev28/1 19:21Sun Jan 28 19:21:12 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 611

That's a matter of opinion. I've noticed a difference in our style of play to one that is a bit more conservative and boring and as a result leads to more long balls and sideways passing.

But like I said in another thread, if we do that and win 1 nil every week I'll be happy

By Owen28/1 19:53Sun Jan 28 19:53:06 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 569

Definitely agree with that last sentence - winning ugly >>> losing prettily

By BaldockBoro (Balders)28/1 20:02Sun Jan 28 20:02:58 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 571

That sir, is how I met my wife, by winning :(

By Deltic 2130/1 12:47Tue Jan 30 12:47:13 2018In response to Re: Finally! Top of thread

Views: 124

How’s that particular brand of winning working out for ya?! 😉

Previous thread: Nutty by Lock1329/1 20:23Mon Jan 29 20:23:46 2018view thread