ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.borochat.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Kevin Lokko by PatToday 10:47Today at 10:47:38view thread

Oldest article: Team News by Mercury 8830/12/2017 14:08Sat Dec 30 14:08:18 2017view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Glen Roeder by vinnyhen30/12/2017 20:51Sat Dec 30 20:51:16 2017view thread

Issues, changes and stats

By Boromatt31/12/2017 11:14Sun Dec 31 11:14:57 2017

Views: 532

Thankfully everyone has saved me the time of posting a pre match thoughts thread about yesterday, poor tactics, shocking goalkeeping and a real lethargic manner in our play resulting in once again another shocking loss away from home.

Stats:
Stats don't lie, 10 points out of 39 away is unacceptable, 2 goals scored away from home since Crewe away and only 9 goals scored away in the league, stats that are embarrassing to be mentioned. Thankfully and luckily, our home form is the complete opposite, 5 wins, 5 draws and out of the 30 points 20 have been at home which is great. 25 goals have been scored at home, which is also another good stat. It's quite clear where our problem lies, the tactics away from have hindered our league form so much and the stats going along to prove that, so change what you're doing away from home Darren, it's obviously not working.

Issues:
What do people think the real issues are? I've said plenty of times, the tactics that the manager enforces away from home aren't good enough, I started saying this after the Swindon loss. Last season, we adopted an approach of going to away matches, playing 4-5-1, keeping it tight for large parts of the game, pushing our two wingers on to support Matty up top, but tucking in when defending and it worked. We were nicking wins and picked up quite a few good results on the road. This season, we seems to play a really open attack minded game with quite a few youngsters out, instead of playing experience and strength. Another issue that I picked up on yesterday was how lethargic the players were. That could be down to confidence, but maybe a few of them are thinking they're on the off when January comes.

Changes:
So what do we do to counteract the issues? A lot of people would say get rid of Darren? People might say give him more time to get things right? Or people might say sell a few of the players and bring in more quality? I think my take on it is we have a good enough team to do well, but quite a few of our best and most senior players are being left out too often. I'm all for giving Darren time, but how much time do we need to give him?? If we keep giving him time and we keep losing I hate to say it but we'll find ourselves in the bottom two! There's only so much time that you can give a losing manager.

Tomorrow in my opinion is a must win match, we have to get a win. A win would do absolute wonders, 33 points and 13 points clear of the drop gives us a really good cushion going into january, along with getting a win on the board, which has been so tough to do. If it's another loss, I really think the Darren Sarll reign could be over in my opinion. Let's hope not, let's hope the boys can smash a win the bag!

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

Re: Issues, changes and stats

By Mercury 8831/12/2017 13:05Sun Dec 31 13:05:42 2017In response to Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 406

If we win tomorrow that will give DS a little breathing space, but one win isn't going to mean the bad run is now beyond us and we will start climbing our way up the table. I'm afraid to say I think we need to move on from DS.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By BaldockBoro (Balders)31/12/2017 12:19Sun Dec 31 12:19:25 2017In response to Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 448

The issues are quite simple.

The players (most of them) aren't playing for the manager or each other.

The players are not working together in any cohesive manner.

Whether these issues are the managers fault or the players is the question.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Boromatt31/12/2017 19:11Sun Dec 31 19:11:38 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 215

I agree. One thing we've lost over the last 2 years at he club is consistency. A certain standard of how we need to perform every week, that was built from the Westley days, I feel like we've lost that recently.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By BaldockBoro (Balders)31/12/2017 19:48Sun Dec 31 19:48:13 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 208

Were consistently shit away from home and consistently just below average at home.

By Sev31/12/2017 20:13Sun Dec 31 20:13:25 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 201

Maybe we should try a neutral ground.

By SFCfox31/12/2017 12:29Sun Dec 31 12:29:41 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 434

Do you really think that's the issue? I can't fault the effort from the players and it's easy to question 'passion' when a team isn't winning but i think that's total bullshit too.

My first change would be to drop Fryer.

I get it that he wants to play football the 'right way' but sometimes you just have to mix it up. Our build up play is way too slow. What happened to playing the ball over the top for Godden to run on to?

By NickG31/12/2017 16:00Sun Dec 31 16:00:08 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 307

Exactly, calling out players for poor attitude, no passion etc is the same old tired excuse that gets pulled out every time we're on a poor run.

Either that, or we are the most unlickest club around who always end up with ones who apparently don't care.

By Deano (deanos13)31/12/2017 14:59Sun Dec 31 14:59:41 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 348

I faulted the effort from the players yesterday

By Puds (Chuds)31/12/2017 15:03Sun Dec 31 15:03:37 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 345

Likewise at Lincoln.

By Sev31/12/2017 15:09Sun Dec 31 15:09:14 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 335

It was noticeable against Lincoln who are the epitome of a hard working team. Whilst our players aren't just standing around doing fuck all, they are working and putting effort in, it's not as much as sides like Lincoln, who had 3 players around each of ours, won every ball, every tackle and every knock down. Not because they were better than us but because they were well organised and worked harder than us.

By Deano (deanos13)31/12/2017 16:26Sun Dec 31 16:26:09 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 293

Graft, Guts and Grit should replace Passion, Pride and whatever the other word may be.

By Puds (Chuds)31/12/2017 19:32Sun Dec 31 19:32:59 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 206

Stevenage FC 2017: Pitiful, pathetic and impotent.

By Sev31/12/2017 16:38Sun Dec 31 16:38:56 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 275

Prejudice.

By BaldockBoro (Balders)31/12/2017 13:03Sun Dec 31 13:03:21 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 401

Godden has been offside more times in the last two games than he has all season. That suggests he is chasing through balls or playing off the shoulder.

I agree our build up is way too slow for this level.

I would drop Fryer too. My guesstimate is we'd probably be 9 points better off without his errors. He has cost us a lot of points. Not saying Day is still the answer but he's currently the only alternative.

I definitely 'fault the effort' levels.

Effort and passion is more than just charging around and patting the badge, otherwise Samuel and Newton would be in the Premier League.

It's important to run a lot at this level, track back, get forward in support at pace, (neither of which we do convincingly much of the time) but effort is also about concentration so you don't lose your man at set pieces, being brave and stepping into a challenge rather than backing off, applying yourself to avoid repeating mistakes, thinking and adapting and leading and working cohesively as a team.

4 people like this 4 people   

By RockyBottom31/12/2017 12:55Sun Dec 31 12:55:20 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 405

We badly, badly need pace all through the side.

The positional issues are the same as in the summer. We badly need options down the left still and have been very lucky the Martin (who I don't especially rate anyway) has stayed fit as we have no cover in that position.

By Deano (deanos13)31/12/2017 15:00Sun Dec 31 15:00:29 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 350

And a leader. There was lots of pointing post Lincoln from Jack and Ron, but none during the game.

By RockyBottom31/12/2017 18:01Sun Dec 31 18:01:55 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 250

Henry has never been a captain and shouldn't even be out on the pitch atm.

By Sev31/12/2017 19:25Sun Dec 31 19:25:32 2017In response to Re: Issues, changes and statsTop of thread

Views: 214

3 more games. Have a heart.

Imagine if we let Ronnie go in the January transfer window before he's broken the appearance record. Unforgivable.

Edited by Sev at 19:25:43 on 31st December 2017

Previous thread: Reasons to love the club by Elkding30/12/2017 16:40Sat Dec 30 16:40:51 2017view thread